Fluval Edge Saltwater Conversion

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Murloc

Reaction score
Hi :)
I converted this EDGE about three months ago. I knew starting a pico would be hard, but so far everything's going perfectly and there's been no mishaps. The goal is just to make it a nice mixed reef addition to my bedroom, whilst I get another, bigger Nano sorted out.

So here's the main start event;

Current Kit list:

Fluval EDGE tank
Standard HOB filter, replaced with filter floss, carbon, Siporax Mini media, and Polyfilter Sponge
Koralia Nano powerhead
Hydor Theo 25w Heater
Aquabeam 600 Reef White bar

2u4sby0.jpg

I started with a smaller powerhead which broke, so I ended up buying a Nano. After the cycle had finished I added the first corals, and slowly built up. Parameters are spot on, with Nitrate hovering around 3-4ppm. Waste removal is taken care of with a 20% water change every week, and cleaning out the HOB filter once a week. In the back corner there is lovely red macro algae growing absorbing nutrients at the moment :)
I originally changed the stock halogens to MR11 LEDs, but I felt it still wasn't enough, so now the tank has an Aquabeam bar hovering over it, and everything's flourishing, plus it still looks great and lights up my room a treat.
The tank is a lot of work, but I love it to bits and I love the challenge of the upkeep on it.

Current livestock is as follows;

Briarium SP. Star Polyps
Finger Leather coral
Green zoanthid colony
Brown/Red Rhodactis Mushroom
Green Torch Coral

Yellow Clown Goby
Tank-raised dark Occ. Clown
Cleaner Shrimp
2 Sexy Shrimp
Turbo Snail
Nassarius Snail
Dwarf Blue Hermit

The clown Goby loves hiding amongst the finger leather and the star polyps, and the clown's hosting the star polyps themselves. I'm kinda hoping he takes to the torch but no luck yet. The cleaner molted for the third time last night, and the sexies two nights ago for the first time. :)
Anyway, here's a current shot, the finger leather's shedding at the moment so sorry for it looking a bit sunken, I do have plenty of other photos if people like :)

I am currently in the workings to get a bigger Nano, around 60-65 litres, but space is my limitation at the moment.

290vrlg.jpg

Wow its a nice tank but be prepared for people saying its to small for a clown fish.
Keep up the good work :good:

I know and have read volumes on the debate about clowns in EDGE tanks, and so far my little guy's had no problems, and I've seen no signs of stress, even through acclimatization. He's feeding well and slowly growing, and his colours are lovely and vibrant. I know he may outgrow the tank eventually, which is why I'm sorting a bigger one out, and hopefully finding him a friend and a Nem to settle down in :)

He sounds to be doing good and at least he will be getting a bigger tank in the future.

May I ask what was the original powerhead? Koralias are small, I'm intrigued that you had an even smaller one?

Is there also a way you can get a shot that shows the lighting? I think how people have modified the Fluvals is interesting. It's like the only thing useable in that tank is the shape.

I probably would've been more conservative with my stocking, but again you seem to be on top of things.

What size is the nano you're planning?

The original powerhead was a Hydor Pico 650, but the impeller broke inside when it struck it's casing. And it was a little noisy and rumbly too, where as the Nano is silent. I did get a refund though, so no worries :)

On the lighting side, I've taken the top part of the hood off, along with the stock lightbar that housed the halogens, and the Aquabeam light is resting on top of the lip, on two rubber buttons that I've stuck on to hold it in place.
The new tank I'm looking to get will just be a normal kinda tank, nothing bespoke, just around 60-65 litres or so (by the space I have, which is where the EDGE is now, that's about the volume I can have that fits there.) with an external canister filter running appropriate media.

Here's a FTS with the light bar :)

ff0b41.jpg

A real little gem of a SW tank, very nice.

*sneaks out to LFS*

James.

that is a neat little tank but i think its to small for a clown :ninja: glad to see your looking to go bigger :good:

Thanks for the information. I've got a planted tank that I'm considering losing the filters on and only running powerheads. I don't need one big one, but several little ones placed around the tank. Either the Hydor or the Koralia may be useful. Right now, I've got two Rio 50s, which have adjustable necks to move the flow, but they are rather ugly. Lolol...

Could you have gone with more LR & gone filterless, or did the extra bioload (fish) require a filter? Just curious as it doesn't quite look as full of LR as most setups I've seen.

Thanks for indulging my questions.

Liz

More LR doesn't always make for better filteration, the better the flow around LR and the quality (how porous it is) mean slot more then volume.
What happens though is we get bits with most corals you buy, these mount up and make our tanks quite full lol.

very sweet, but dont leave that clown in there too long will you :huh:

I love the way you are using an aquaray, bet you get lovely glinting.

Oh and look, Liz and James are spending more and more time on the salty side :p wont be long guys.............and they will be over here with a tank, what do you think?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back