Fluval Edge 46L Filter Upgrade

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Nemo2182

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi Guys, Newbie here, apologies if this is not the right place, please move accordingly.....

So I popped my Aquarium cherry (well technically I've had a goldfish in a bowl and a very low tech tank as a boy) and made a nano setup with a 46L Fluval Edge. I brought this as a distraction from COVID19, to help me, wife and three boys have an escape from your boredom of being on lockdown... that said what was supposed to start as a low budget family hobbie and literally had me jump in both feet and embrace the wonderful world of keeping fish. I aquascapped to best of my ability with rock and plants, on a plant substrate covered by black shrimp gravel. It looked alright for a first attempt

At the beginning I was stupid. I cycled for a week without fish, no real helping of the cycle I.e. add food, put ammonia in etc etc and within a week I was happy and stuck 3 guppies in. Luckly for me these little buggers are hardy and have saved me from myself as I fought to get this tank cycled while keeping these fish alive. My first loss came once I added 5 Fire Red Cherry shrimp two weeks later. 3 died in successive days leaving me heartbroken and feeling stupid, as my wife reiterated above my patience level.

I learned the hard way, but learn I did and I went out and brought a water test kit and waited for the tank to finish its cycle. Three months on I have 5 guppies, 5 corydora habrosus, 8-10 shrimp and a snail. I know many of you will say I'm over-stocked, but this is were hobbie became an obsession, and I started totally modifying what I had. Removing scape to allow corydoras plenty of floor space, making hidy holes for shrimp and adding a floating flame moss island...Everything started being changed for the good of the fish and to allow easy maintenance. But something still wasnt right and this is where the original title of this thread has lead me, and I hope it will help others as it seemed alot of people asked on the web but not a lot of people responded ... Can you upgrade the filter on a Fluval Edge???

I'm lucky, I have the 2nd or 3rd generation of this tank, not the one with the silly arm that comes over with the lights. The lights of mine are built into the hood of the top cover. I spent hours on net searching for an answer, and found myself looking first upgrading the current AC20 with a AC50 impeller. Worked well, but not enough. So then I though surely a AC30 or AC50 would fit? I did the measurements and quickly realised the AC50 would be a push and require modifying but the AC30 would fit. And what if I changed the impeller to the AC50....I would have a hybrid AC30 which would increase flow and help with the extra BIO load my heavily stock tank was producing.

In my view the 46L should come with this Filter as standard, it is much better suited to the deep tank than the AC20. Add the AC50 impeller and you have a perfect filtration system. I literally couldn't be happier. Keeping the contemporary design me and my wife wanted while improving the efficiency. My tank is always clean, my water parameters are spot on and my fish seem healthy and happy. There is one slight alteration you will need to make unfortunately, and that is the light. Once the new filter is in place, the touch switch makes the lid sit out-of-place, so you have to move it completely if you want it to sit flush. I didn't want to void warranty, so just dumped it in the rear box of the unit and fitted a smart plug to manage the light coming on and off. This will limit you to just the day light coming on and off, but I dont use the night light anyway.

I have included some pics of my modifying, hopefully this will help all those seeking an answer to the same issue. You will see I have also extended the intake pipe, which I also recommended for this tank, as the floor to top is quite big for a nano tank

Nathan

Attachments

• 20200601_152058.jpg
    20200601_152058.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 518
  • 20200601_152125.jpg
    20200601_152125.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 352
  • 20200601_152149.jpg
    20200601_152149.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 332
  • 20200601_152225.jpg
    20200601_152225.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 357
  • 20200601_152205.jpg
    20200601_152205.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 352
Last edited:
Hello and welcome to the forum! :hi:

Not sure about the impeller question. @Byron should be able to help you.

Hello and welcome to the forum! :hi:

Not sure about the impeller question. @Byron should be able to help you.
I don't have a question...well actually I do. What is the flow rate of an AC30 with an AC50 impeller. That is the setup.i am using and it rocks

And how rude of me, Hello PheonixKingZ :thumbs::thumbs:

Welcome to TFF. :hi:

I cannot answer the technical question about flow rate and impellers, but something else in your initial post caught my eye and I think it might be helpful to mention, and that has to do with increasing filtration capability with respect to bioload.

One of several myths in this hobby concerns filters and filtration. There is a view that increasing the flow or adding additional filters will compensate for a heavy bioload due to overstocking, but this is not true. The tank must be stocked appropriately for the volume, taking into consideration the species (some have more impact than others, whether just because of the species or because of interactions with other species) and numbers, and live plants or not. Any filter that is sufficient for the tank volume will do the same job; adding more filters or larger filters or increasing water flow does not affect this at all so far as biological filtration is concerned. There may be a "clearer water" outcome depending upon the aquarium and filter, but clear water is a very different thing from clean water. The "clean" water aspect is the biological filtration, and this will be the same subject to the initial balance, regardless of filters.

Live plants factor in, especially fast growing species and floating plants are top dog here. You should be able to omit the filter altogether from the aspect of biological filtration; a biologically balanced aquarium needs no filter for this. The only use for a filter is to move the water to some degree, and that should depend upon the needs of the fish respecting current. Surface disturbance is also part of this.

No filter can "over-filter" because such a state does not exist. The nitrification will occur according to the biological load filter or no filter, again provided all is in balance. If the health of the fish is dependent upon the filter chugging along, the aquarium is probably not biologically balanced and stable in the first place.

Hi Byron,

I have to admit, I expected a larger filtration system I.e larger surface area of foam, carbon (or seachem purigen in my case) and double biomax would help the process of a healthy tank? But I am new to this and there is alot of conflicting info out there. Based on my info, do you think I am badly over? The corydoras are barely inch each and guppies arent exactly massive. I kind of had 8 fish in my head but I was struggling with the guppies fighting so added another boy (all boys) and it seems to have balanced them out.

Nathan

What is the GH, KH, and pH of your water? What fish (and of how many) do you have in your tank already?

Hi Byron,

I have to admit, I expected a larger filtration system I.e larger surface area of foam, carbon (or seachem purigen in my case) and double biomax would help the process of a healthy tank? But I am new to this and there is alot of conflicting info out there. Based on my info, do you think I am badly over? The corydoras are barely inch each and guppies arent exactly massive. I kind of had 8 fish in my head but I was struggling with the guppies fighting so added another boy (all boys) and it seems to have balanced them out.

Nathan

This is a 46 liter (12 gallons) tank, stocking is 5 Corydoras habrosus, five guppies, and 10 shrimp. From the perspective of fish to water volume this is not overstocked, no where even close. You should get a few more cories though, this species will be better with 8-9 rather than 5. And that means, actually less impact biologically, because the larger shoal (group) with this species will cause them less difficulty.

You could remove the filter altogether, if you have some live plants, and the fish would be fine. Not that I'm recommending this, just making the point that filters are not the cure-all. Bacteria live on every surface covered by water, and this includes every grain of sand/gravel in the substrate. And in a healthy aquarium, there will be far more bacteria (of all sorts of species, not just nitrifying) in the substrate than in any filter.

The filter here is also providing water clarity. So the foam/sponge material is the important media, not because of biological filtration so much as to provide clear water by removing suspended particulate matter which is mainly microscopic and can make water look a bit hazy. I use a single sponge filter on my 10g, and a dual sponge on my 20g and 29g tanks. This ensures crystal clear water, and a gentle water movement which suits the type of fish I keep. Floating plants do the real "filtration" task.

A couple of other things while I'm here.

Do you know the GH and pH? The GH of your source (tap) water is fine, it will not change much if at all in the aquarium. Guppies need moderately hard water, while the cories are softer water. There can be some slight overlap, depending upon the numbers and species. GH is more important than pH to fish.

Second is the substrate...cories need sand because they are filter feeders, and gravel can cause bacterial issues, plus there is the issue of the roughness of either sand or gravel. We can discuss.

Second is the substrate...cories need sand because they are filter feeders, and gravel can cause bacterial issues, plus there is the issue of the roughness of either sand or gravel. We can discuss.
I agree. Forgot to ask @Nemo2182 that.

I'll be totally honest I do not know the GH, my kit came with the PH, Ammonia, Nitrite an Nitrate tests. My PH is 7.6, but I live in a hard water area, so my guess should be the GH is on the harder side. I condition my water before adding to tank with Fluval Water conditioner and Fluval BIO Enhancer. I was tempted by RO water, but read it hard to get the minerals to right point for shrimp. It's a massive balancing act.

As for the substrate the corydoras were a secondary decision (as in never part of original idea for tank) but liked the idea of a lively cleanup squad, I actually think these are the most enjoyable to watch. I was conscious of the gravel, but it is tiny, like a 1mm and read they are usually ok with that. They certainly enjoy buring there head in it.

So if I was going to stick with Guppies, corydoras and maybe extend the shrimp family, what would be your recommended volumes?

I'll be totally honest I do not know the GH, my kit came with the PH, Ammonia, Nitrite an Nitrate tests. My PH is 7.6, but I live in a hard water area, so my guess should be the GH is on the harder side.
You should be able to find this on your water supplier's website. We need a number and unit because hard water to water companies does not mean the same as to fish.

Agree, let's pin down the GH and pH.

I would love to do that but my supplier doesn't even think it supplys me according to webpage LOL

I'll see if it recognises another postcode on my road, surely that will be same supply...

GH is 119.6 CA MG/L does that sound right?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back