Fluval canister filter

Side note. When using the pump be very careful and pump straight up and down. The pump materials in my opinion are very delicate and prone to breakage, I would say it is a weak point to the Fluval filters.
 
Side note. When using the pump be very careful and pump straight up and down. The pump materials in my opinion are very delicate and prone to breakage, I would say it is a weak point to the Fluval filters.
For me to put intake and return hoses straight up and down would probably mean having to not also have my HOB's or to get new tops as my glass tops don't have openings on sides. I will move intake toward middle of tank and see if less lateral movement helps. Don't want to cut and shorten hoses and regret it if doesn't help. Today is water change day so good time to try it.
 
Last edited:
Latest in my saga. My 407 seems problem may have been the Fluval prefilter was not allowing enough water through. I loosened it for more space between the filter and intake tube and now full flow. Wondering if that was the case on the 307's as well. We'll see if they continue running. In any case I think I'll go back to only using the supplied strainers.
 
Latest in my saga. My 407 seems problem may have been the Fluval prefilter was not allowing enough water through. I loosened it for more space between the filter and intake tube and now full flow. Wondering if that was the case on the 307's as well. We'll see if they continue running. In any case I think I'll go back to only using the supplied strainers.
What are you using for a prefilter - i always use 10ppi sponge cubes which will collapse when blocked so i know there is a problem.
 
What are you using for a prefilter - i always use 10ppi sponge cubes which will collapse when blocked so i know there is a problem.

What are you using for a prefilter - i always use 10ppi sponge cubes which will collapse when blocked so i know there is a problem.
Fluval Edge Pre-filters. Got them on Amazon.
 
I have used those on my 407, they are way too small as a pre filter, they plug in less than a week for me. This is what I use now: https://www.fishforums.net/threads/prefilters-on-draw-tubes-of-filters.498516/#post-4384388
That looks less like a prefilter and more like a saftey net ;)
--
On my fx6 i use a very large cube filter - something like 4x4x8 (inch); rather huge block of 10 ppi sponge. Works like a jiffy ;) Also it serves oddly enough as a cave for one of my pleco. WHen i have to clean it i also have to clean him because he refuses to get off.
 
My problems ended up being the prefilter. Noticed problems didn't apply to the two I hadn't put prefilter on. Sure enough the intake tube was blocked as it sucked filter in. Decided to leave more space between tube and the prefilter and bingo problem gone. Sort of like me checking whole electrical system before checking the fuse😂
 
That looks less like a prefilter and more like a saftey net
It might but the mesh determines the minimum particle size for the filter, and allows the snails to feed off the surface. Only clean the actual filter one every 6 months with this method.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top