Fishless cycle questions

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

Going back to this, where are you? Step #2 or stage #5?
If it's step #2, add enough ammonia to get 3 ppm but if it's step #5 add just enough to get 1 ppm.
Step 5

Iā€™ve just added a 3rd of the dose but my nitrite is really high, is that going to do more harm than good

Have you had ammonia zero, then 2 days later another ammonia zero? If you've only had the first zero, wait a couple of days for the second ammonia zero before adding the 1 ppm dose.
The reason it's a 1 ppm dose is to give the ammonia eats some food to keep them going withough having too much nitrite made as a result.

Have you had ammonia zero, then 2 days later another ammonia zero? If you've only had the first zero, wait a couple of days for the second ammonia zero before adding the 1 ppm dose.
The reason it's a 1 ppm dose is to give the ammonia eats some food to keep them going withough having too much nitrite made as a result.
Yeah Iā€™ve had 2 clear days now of ammonia but nitrite is higher than 5ppm, was thinking a half water change to bring that down but if it doesnā€™t cause any issues Iā€™ll leave it

Iā€™m hoping this doesnā€™t take to long as Iā€™m starting to think I have gill flukes in my smaller tank ?. Need to get my clown loaches out of there ASAP but I think itā€™s going to be to late

If one fish has gill flukes, they all have gill flukes.

You can kill gill flukes with salt (2 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres of water, keep salt in there for at least 2 weeks), or Praziquantel, or Flubendazole might do it too.

You can kill gill flukes with salt (2 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres of water, keep salt in there for at least 2 weeks), or Praziquantel, or Flubendazole might do it too.
Thanks Colin_T.
Iā€™ve had nothing but problems with this small tank since day one so Iā€™m hoping to get them in the big tank and start again on the small one.

Is that aquarium salt I need to do that. Clown loaches and ottos going to be ok with the added salt In the tank

you can definitely add plants in fact this will help the process, as far as lighting I try to keep my lighting a bit dimmer but if you add plants just do it for the normal length of time you would ordinarily do. also, you can decorate your tank to your heart's content, more surface area for beneficial bacteria.
hope this helps

You can significantly shorten your cycling time by seeding the tank with media from an already established tank. Just use an old filter or a couple scoops of substrate. If you don't have access to one just go to your local pet store and ask if you could have some used filters or some used gravel and seed it that way. I have cycled tanks in only a week using this method a couple times.

The only thing the LFS had was tonic salts so Iā€™ve follow the 1 teaspoon per 5L as instructed on the packed

What are the ingredients in the tonic salts?

--------------------
You need sodium chloride (aquarium salt, rock salt or swimming pool salt).

Use 2 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres (5 gallons) or it won't do anything to the gill flukes.

2 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres is safe for all freshwater fish, shrimp, snails, plants and filter bacteria.

What are the ingredients in the tonic salts?

--------------------
You need sodium chloride (aquarium salt, rock salt or swimming pool salt).

Use 2 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres (5 gallons) or it won't do anything to the gill flukes.

2 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres is safe for all freshwater fish, shrimp, snails, plants and filter bacteria.
Just had to google it myself and itā€™s just aquarium salt

Iā€™ve used 1 teaspoon per 5 litres ( 4 per 20 L ) as the packet said so a stronger dose than you suggested. I also got some flubendazole 1000mg/100ml.
Unfortunately 2 lamp eyes have died over night last night, tail fins bent round touching their body and head up with gills wide open.

seems all the other are still eating and have normal behaviour and appearance

Can you post some pictures and a short 60 second video of the remaining fish, and pics of the dead fish if you still have them?
Also post a picture of the tank.

Have you tested the tank water to make sure the fish aren't dying from poor water quality?

How often do you do water changes on that tank?
How much water do you change on it?
Do you dechlorinate the new water before adding it to the tank?

What fish are in the tank?
Did you add anything to the tank in the 2 weeks before they started dying?

Can you post some pictures and a short 60 second video of the remaining fish, and pics of the dead fish if you still have them?

Have you tested the tank water to make sure the fish aren't dying from poor water quality?

Water in the tank
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate .5
Ph 7.0
Temp 26c

water change weekly with aqua safe added to each bucket before slowly pouring into tank. 40-50% change weekly with gravel vac as well.

lamp eyes x 3 with no problems, eating, active, looking really healthy. (was 5 until recently, 2 died with head up tails clamp back around touching body and gills open)

2x ottos with no problems, nice round bellies and active.

2x clown loaches with no problems, active, eating, doing silly things, looking really healthy.

will post pictures and video later as been on night shift and tank light is still off.

5540C0A1-977A-4EAC-86F2-84C97E276FEA.jpeg7DC4BB43-AAB9-4D53-9DC0-36CC54961DA7.jpeg
Just done my water change so water is still settling.

one of the ottos is hiding and so is the other clown loach but itā€™s always hiding till lights out or feeding.

clown plec is under his log but canā€™t get a good photo of him

everyone seem fine.

I drop 50% 50L out (100L tank) and just added half the dose flubendazole again

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back