Fishless Cycle 3 weeks no Nitrite

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Donners_99

Reaction score
Hello All, currently on day 21 of a fishless cycle and have no nitrites as of yet. Is this normal or have I done something wrong. How long has it taken other people to see nitrites appear ?

My tank is 80 litres, the filter is set up and the temperature has been at 28 Celsius / 82 Fahrenheit. The water was dechlorinated with SeaChem. It also has an air stone as well to help aerate the tank. In terms of ammonia Iā€™ve used dr Timā€™s and dosed it to 2ppm which it has remained at on the API master test kit.
Ph is 7.8
GH is 7 dKH
KH is 7 dKH
Nitrites have remained at 0 ppm
Nitrates are 0 ppm.

Is it normal to take this long for nitrites to show ? Should I just wait it out a little longer ? Any benefits in doing a water change ?

Thankyou

Welcome to TFF

You say ammonia has remained at 2 PPM....after 3 weeks?

Something is definitely not right...though your plan for the cycle is spot-on

80L tank = about 21 USG....how much Prime did you use to begin the cycle?

Dosage for Seachem Prime is 1 ml/10 USG, which would be about 2 ml for your tank

Something is definitely not right...though your plan for the cycle is spot-on

80L tank = about 21 USG....how much Prime did you use to begin the cycle?

Dosage for Seachem Prime is 1 ml/10 USG, which would be about 2 ml for your tank
I used exactly 2ml Iā€™ve got a variety of medical syringes due to my line of work. So I made sure it was exactly 2ml rather than guessing with cap fulls. Is it worth doing a water change or starting the cycle again ? Is it makes any difference my KH and GH are naturally low so I have added pure potassium bi carbonate and SeaChem replenish to raise them to an adequate level.

I used exactly 2ml Iā€™ve got a variety of medical syringes due to my line of work. So I made sure it was exactly 2ml rather than guessing with cap fulls. Is it worth doing a water change or starting the cycle again ? Is it makes any difference my KH and GH are naturally low so I have added pure potassium bi carbonate and SeaChem replenish to raise them to an adequate level.
Ahhh...the addition of other chemicals....not advised during a cycle...we want dechlored source water, a water conditioner, and an ammonia source, ONLY....more chemicals = more complications

Your source water will be what you use weekly to do water changes, it is counter-productive to have to manipulate it on a weekly basis; rather, work with the hardness of the water you have to obtain a cycle, then STOCK the tank with fish that will thrive in what you have to offer them

TBH, I've never used bicarb or the Replenish, so no experience there...but my advice is to start over

Drain as much water as possible, fill and dechlor with Prime, and follow your original regimen...but with ammonia only

We'll deal with your water hardness and stocking suggestions after the cycle ;)

Ahhh...the addition of other chemicals....not advised during a cycle...we want dechlored source water, a water conditioner, and an ammonia source, ONLY....more chemicals = more complications

Your source water will be what you use weekly to do water changes, it is counter-productive to have to manipulate it on a weekly basis; rather, work with the hardness of the water you have to obtain a cycle, then STOCK the tank with fish that will thrive in what you have to offer them

TBH, I've never used bicarb or the Replenish, so no experience there...but my advice is to start over

Drain as much water as possible, fill and dechlor with Prime, and follow your original regimen...but with ammonia only

We'll deal with your water hardness and stocking suggestions after the cycle ;)
Perfect will empty the aquarium tomorrow and start again from scratch. Should I just add the ammonia and nothing else. Had looked at products like Dr Timā€™s Bacteria ? Are these worth adding or should I purely just add the ammonia ? Anything else I should or shouldnā€™t do ?

Thanks Again

Which Dr Tim's did you start with? I've always just used pure ammonia from the hardware store, so no experience with those products...but if I'm not mistaken, the "one and only" is the closest to using pure ammonia to begin a cycle...others need to chime in on that product

Some use "bottled bacteria" with success, I never have...I rely on the free bacteria that occurs naturally in our environment

A better option, if available, is seeded filter media from another established tank, if you had access to one...that's how you will cycle your next tank ;)

If I were you, I'd use dechlor and ammonia only, save a little $ for something else beside store-bought bacteria...the rest of your cycle regimen was perfect

Which Dr Tim's did you start with? I've always just used pure ammonia from the hardware store, so no experience with those products...but if I'm not mistaken, the "one and only" is the closest to using pure ammonia to begin a cycle...others need to chime in on that product

Some use "bottled bacteria" with success, I never have...I rely on the free bacteria that occurs naturally in our environment

A better option, if available, is seeded filter media from another established tank, if you had access to one...that's how you will cycle your next tank ;)

If I were you, I'd use dechlor and ammonia only, save a little $ for something else beside store-bought bacteria...the rest of your cycle regimen was perfect
I just used dr Timā€™s ammonium chloride at the dosage on the bottle and then when tested it showed up at 2ppm on the API test kit

And BTW, draw a sample of the water you have in the tank now, and test the ph....I'm curious to know that reading

PH will fluctuate during a cycle anyway, perfectly normal, but with the added stuff you didn't need, it could be interesting

And BTW, draw a sample of the water you have in the tank now, and test the ph....I'm curious to know that reading

PH will fluctuate during a cycle anyway, perfectly normal, but with the added stuff you didn't need, it could be interesting
I tested the water parameters direct from my tank before this post the ph was 7.8 direct from the tank

I tested the water parameters direct from my tank before this post the ph was 7.8 direct from the tank
Thanks....keep us updated on your new progress

Draw a sample of your tap water, let it sit for 24 hours, then test it's ph, as well...it will be good to have on record here

Perfect Thankyou for the help will empty the tank tomorrow and completely and refill, thereā€™s probably very little bacteria in the filter but if there is would it remain whilst the tank is emptied and refilled. Fingers crossed I get some nitrites in the next two weeks

Perfect Thankyou for the help will empty the tank tomorrow and completely and refill, thereā€™s probably very little bacteria in the filter but if there is would it remain whilst the tank is emptied and refilled. Fingers crossed I get some nitrites in the next two weeks
More than welcome

Yes, preserve your filter media in a bowl of old tank water while you do the WC, then replace in the filter...don't let it dry out

Good luck, keep us posted

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back