Fish that you would never keep again.

phishluvr said:
KentBlokey said:
Oh, and also Kuhlie Loaches.  I rarely see them.
that's what I kinda like about them. They're the unexpected surprise when visitors look in the tank, peeking out from their cave and cute with those whiskers. :wub:

gouramis get a bad rap because they can have such different personalities. My blues, golds and pearls are quite happy together. They remind me of Oscars when they intertwine.

OK, so what I don't like...

any overly-agressive fish :grr:

most silver fish, like scissortails, especially one that a friend gives you after tearing down their tank and can't part with. :/

plecos-they're just ugly, grow too big and sucking on the tank kinda grosses me out
I see what you mean, But if they were to die, it's usually under some rock, or in the the fiter (Mine live in my filter) So you woulnd't see them straight away, they'd de-compose and i'm sure that's not a good thing.
 
Well I hate flowery fish, I like my fish to be big, or aggressive, not one for guppies, mollys, neons etc although the wife keeps asking for a tank of her own for as she says "cute little fish".
 
It has to be guppies for me as well. Not because I don't like them because they do come in some beautiful colours now, but they are so delicate. Its heartbreaking to lose a female just after she's given birth or even during birth. I've had many in my first year of keeping tropicals and I've only got one original one left and bless her she's made it through the tank being cycled. I've never ever had any fry off her though, only eggs :dunno:

My other choice would be neons as I find them boring and ottos as they were very delicate also :/
 
my girl friend keeps fancy guppies and loves it. They breed and it gives her a chance to play mom to the fry. The sick part is we went out and dumped over $400 to get her a pretty little 26 Gal bow front tank, filter, etc etc so she could have be bestest of cute little tanks... and she brings it home and fills it full of guppies. Originally it was planned to be a discus tank, but... I lost...

I'm trying to convince her that my Green Terror isn't happy in the cichlid tank and just needs a temp tank to move into for a few weeks...
 
Upside-down Catfish! Everytime i've tried to keep one, it dies. I won't be trying that again. (on a side note, i like how they look)
 
Killer Whale.

kept nipping the fins of my gourami and chased the platys around something terrible, although am sure he tried to mate with one of them!

Water changes were also a nightmare!!

steve 8) :D

EDIT: Just realised my Killer Whale doesn't count.....it's a mammal not a fish!!!!
:rofl: :rofl:
 
I'm going to jump in and defend the humble Guppy. Where would you all be today had you never had the excitement of your first litter of fry?!
Would you really still have as a first time tank owner been as happy to just have a Gourami or 2 and a few tetra in your first tank that sat about? Guppys are the best bread and butter fish for any tank and I'd never have a tank without 5 in it. They are a very colourful fish, more so than Betta sometimes. Watching cute little fry swim from cover to cover to avoid males after they are first born or the inquisitive nature of their adults is so funny.
 
- Goldfish, but thats my fault. I bought them before I knew anything having grown up with goldfish in bowls. I ended up having to buy 30 gallon tank for 2 twelve-cent fish who probably won't even live long enough to fill it up, and all they do is eat, make a lot of poop, and fight.
- Chinese Algae Eaters, because they are completely worthless. All they do is attack other fish, take up space, and filthy the tank. They don't even eat algae when they get older. Bleh.
 
bunjiweb said:
I hate to say it but the fist fish that springs to mind is the betta. I loved them for a while, but I have really got bored of them now...
Also tetra, in general. They look nice in a shoal but i would want a truly large shoal of them if i were ever to keep them again.

Ben
Ever seen the Bucktooth Tetra? aka Exodon?

Theres a tetra no one can resist B)

--Dan
 
vantgE said:
wrs said:
hey, dont diss the platties or bettas! There are many diffrent kinds, especially bettas that are rare and beautiful.

I would never keep jewel cichlids again! Or Mbunas!
psss. Everyone I think this guys being funny,

I would never keep goldfish in a tank again becasue their too messy ponds are okay still,

I will never keep pesodtropheus elongatus, there to hard to sex and an odd combination of the most picked on fish in my tank and most agresive fish
whats that supposed to mean?
 
Wilder said:
I'm afraid to say guppys, as I have had no luck with them.
damn straight, first ones i bought were dead within 24 hours, second lot, one nipped fins like buggery then commited suicide and the other got its tail torn by upsetting my silver shark
 
I'm going to jump in and defend the humble Guppy. Where would you all be today had you never had the excitement of your first litter of fry?!
Would you really still have as a first time tank owner been as happy to just have a Gourami or 2 and a few tetra in your first tank that sat about? Guppys are the best bread and butter fish for any tank and I'd never have a tank without 5 in it. They are a very colourful fish, more so than Betta sometimes. Watching cute little fry swim from cover to cover to avoid males after they are first born or the inquisitive nature of their adults is so funny.

hmmmm... my first litter of fry were convicts and I've never purchased a guppy in my life save and except as feeders... Heck I didn't know anyone did until a couple years ago lol
 
Have to agree with JDH about the Upside-Down Catfish. I have a couple of them now, thought they looked cool, also thought they would be more active like they were in the lfs. I N-E-V-E-R see either one of them unless I get my flashlight out and look in the pipes I provided for their rooms!! :lol:

I would have to add Platy's to my list. They freak out EVERY time you get close to the tank!! :hyper: I'm afraid they are going to hurt themselves sometimes!! But they're the FIRST fish on the food when it hits the water...oh well, learned that lesson, never again, don't care how "pretty" they are...

Surprised I haven't seen the Chinese Algae Eaters listed more often in this thread. I made the mistake once, ( doesn't everybody? ) talk about something that grows overnight!! :crazy: And the bigger it gets, the more problem it is, and the more worthless as far as actual "algae-eating" it becomes. Just becomes the neighborhood bully...

Oh yeah, also: MOLLIES!! There's the fish kingdoms answer to PMS!! :S MOODY SUCKERS!! WHEW!! What a disaster they were, biggest pests of the other fish I ever saw!!
 

Most reactions

Back
Top