Fish that should not be sold.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Interesting question for thought, but alas there's no simple answer...in a perfect world people would not be buying pets unless they were really educated about the care, feeding the ramifications of a pet be it a fish, bird or even cat or dog eh?.

OK...I get the way some are happy with GloFish

However I have a question for you

Why buy genetically modified, potentially life shortened fish, when nature has given us the priviledge to own so many brightly coloured species that have had zero human intervention?

Fish that should not be sold.....well....reaches for body armour due to the inevitable.....any fish that has been genetically modified, injected or inhumanely crossbred...such as the Parrot Fish in its rainbow of dodgy colours, Betta Splendens et al who have been genetically mutilated to bring about ridiculous finnage and colours...and the worst of them all...GloFish.
At dutch vivaristic events, genetically mutilated fish are forbidden to be offered.

1646831257441.png

Asian Arowana. They are an endagered species in the wild and they are illegal all over the place. They always seem to be in too small tanks and they look miserable. Plus there is a whole subculture around them that is creepy as hell. Some old woman was beat and her fish stolen. So yeah...it just seems unnecessary

View attachment 156089
Asian Arowana. They are an endagered species in the wild and they are illegal all over the place. They always seem to be in too small tanks and they look miserable. Plus there is a whole subculture around them that is creepy as hell. Some old woman was beat and her fish stolen. So yeah...it just seems unnecessary
One of my suppliers of fish have three pages of Arowana for sale......flippin' expensive some of them too

Unlike my usual supplier of fish, Sims never put any aquarium requirement info on their adverts, so there is always the chance of a big fish being sold to go into an aquarium that is unsuitable

View attachment 156089
Fortunately, many of the specimens in the trade are captive-bred and tracked. However, I do agree that they are sometimes cruelly confined to tiny tanks just because the owner is superstitious or wants the prestige of owning a "dragon" despite the lack of space.

One of my suppliers of fish have three pages of Arowana for sale......flippin' expensive some of them too

Unlike my usual supplier of fish, Sims never put any aquarium requirement info on their adverts, so there is always the chance of a big fish being sold to go into an aquarium that is unsuitable
Very expensive specimens, but people will always buy. They usually buy the baby's that are only 7 inches long, not realizing they will grow to be giants. That's why I like my LFS so much - whenever someone buys a baby arowana, they always show them the massive one they have in their monster tank and say it will get this big someday. I've seen several people walk out of the store with shocked looks on their face, while others just buy it anyway.

My LFS only sells Silver Arowana's, but the baby's still sell for $150, and the adults sell for $800+.

it was sold to me as some anubias but to me it looks like it cant be planted in subtrate as if that is rhizome it grows upright not vertical to ground i recived it in small pot planted and now when i ask them they say they dont knwo should i plant it in subtrate or not

what do you think of first one i think thats some stem plant and can go in subtrate or not?

Fortunately, many of the specimens in the trade are captive-bred and tracked. However, I do agree that they are sometimes cruelly confined to tiny tanks just because the owner is superstitious or wants the prestige of owning a "dragon" despite the lack of space.

They are going extinct in the wild...

My list of fish that should not be sold include:

1) Most fish that grow to more than 1 foot in length. Some of the smaller eels (3 foot long ribbon eel) are ok because they aren't active swimmers and normally reside in a smallish territory that can be accomodated in an aquarium. But things like redtail catfish, arowana, arapaima, black pacu, etc, simply get too big for aquariums and literally need huge ponds to live in.

2) Any fish that grows big by aquarium fish standards (8 inches plus), needs to be kept in a group, and is an active swimmer. Silver sharks and tinfoil barbs fall into this category. They can reach a foot long, need company and need room to move. Very few people have a tank big enough to house 20 of these fish when they are mature.

3) Fish that are so inbred their bodies have been significantly mutated and no longer resemble their original wild form. These fish regularly have internal problems and can't swim properly. All the balloon fishes fall into this category, along with the short bodied goldfish.

----------------------
BETTAS
Male Betta splendens are highly territorial fish that only accept female Betta splendens into their territory when they want to breed. These fish are solitary by nature so having one on its own in an 18 inch long tank (or bigger) is fine and helps to replicate the fish's natural lifestyle. Having them in tiny cups or little tanks with 1/2 a litre of water is not good for them but is the only practicle way shops can hold large numbers for sale.

The exceptionally long fins on some male B. splendens, and the inbreeding of this fish is a major concern and has weakened the fish we see in shops. The inbreeding needs to stop, and the fish should be able to move through the water without too much effort.

----------------------
GLOFISH
GloFish are made by injecting jellyfish genes into a developing egg. Once the fish has the gene, they have it forever and pass it on to their offspring. In my opinion, it is less stressful and more humane to the fish being sold because their ancestor was injected (genetically modified) as an egg but none of the offspring have been touched. Comparing this to dyed, painted or injected fish, that literally get man handled, painted or injected with a syringe, kept out of water for 30-60 seconds so the paint can dry, and then put back in the water. These dyes and paints come off over a period of time or the scales fall out and the fish ends up being normal coloured after 6 months, assuming they live that long.

----------------------
OSCARS
Oscars aren't a bad aquarium fish because they are an ambush predator that has a territory and isn't an active swimmer. This makes them suitable candidates for a good sized tank (4x2x2ft or bigger).

Some of the other big cichlids and perch also fall into this category.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back