Fish Stuck Between Juwel Filter And Glass!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

downinthedumps

Reaction score
I woke up this morning to find a neon tetra and one of my zebra danios stuck between the glass and the filter. The neon tetra looks dead, but the zebra danio is still breathing (just about). I tried taking some water out to see if they drop down but no go and I don't want to cut out my filter. Any suggestions what I can do. I feel sorry for the danio and its completed wedged in the corner but still breathing.

Sorry should have said its a Juwel Rio 125 with built in filter that is attached with glue/silicon to the glass sides of the tank.

There is very little room, I suppose I can stick a straightened out coat hanger or something down there but i will end up stabbing the fish which a can't do as I will just throw up! omg what to do the danio is still breathing! obviously in great stress and pain :-(

you need to get it out somehow. I'm sorry but if loosening your filter is a no no, then you have no other choice but to poke it out. What about a flat lollypop stick?

or an ear cotton bud? Can you gently but firmly pull the filter? Even the slightest increase in space might free it. You really need to get the dead one out too... it'll be rotting and causing an ammonia spike

i know this the next day, and either you got the fish out of there alive or not. my advice is to shove some filter foam, a sponge, or something behind there that way it doesn't happen again.

The fish died :-( so now I have 2 dead fish stuck behind the filter and I'm struggling to come up with ideas on how I can take them out.

I don't understand how they got in there. My substrate is blocking the access from below - I pushed some more gravel under there in case there is a gap I can't see.

id have just ripped the filter off to be honest. i really dont see the point in a fixed filter can someone please explain to me why they make tanks like this cause i really dont see the point in not being able to move the filter?

I have a Juwel Rio 180 which had the same type filter until I cut it out.
I also had the same problem but with a cardinal tetra.
The filter is very bendy as the pannels aren't very strong. Insert a thin but deep bladed knife between the filter and glass and gently twist the blade, this will give you just enough room to get the fish out with some other knife screwdriver etc. As long as you're gentle the filter will spring back to its normal shape and be sure to twist the blade sharpe edge towards the filter as this avoids any chance of scratching tha glass.

Thanks I will try that. I don't want to cut out the filter to be honest as it serves my needs and I'm scared of getting an external in case it leaks all over my carpet for one reason or another.

I'm gutted as this is the first dead fish I've had since setting up the tank 6 months ago.

How about getting some aquarium sealent and running all up the opening? could just prevent another death?

i had this tank before and managed to rip the filter unit off.maybe what nick217 said and run some sealant along it and that may do the trick.

Apologies for resurrecting such an old thread, especially as a newbie here, but I thought I may have an update that may prove useful to others.

We have just changed from Goldies to Tropical. Our tank is a Juwel Lido 120, and we have a school of ten Zebra Danios in there(with other fish too). Unfortunately, on day two some of the Danios got into the filter, so we released them. The next day I changed the poly pad and rinsed the filters in De-chlorinated water. Unfortunately, while I had the filters out these crazy Danios were swimming all around the filter head, I was worried some would get trapped in the filter case and be stuck under the sponges, but when it came to it I had to just put the sponges back. How would I know if there was one at the bottom or not? I did a head count of these mad little swimmers afterwards and could only find 9. We checked again later, and it was still 9. I was looking carefully and then I saw something move right in the corner of the tank, it was the Danio! It was stuck, vertical, in the tiny gap between the glass and the filter. I searched the internet for possible ways to free the poor little thing, but couldn't really find much except this is a known problem. We could see that he could change direction and swim about, and so we hoped he may move sideways in a bid for freedom.
Unfortunately it was not to be. After a few days, my wife and I couldn't take this much more, so she suggested getting a straw and sucking it out. We tried it, it didn't work. But then, I pushed the straw down further, and got a syringe from a JBL test kit and pulled water up into the syringe. I then lifted the straw, and put it in the tank. My wife blew the straw, and hey presto, one little zebra danio fishy back in the tank! We got some flakes and a treat of freeze dried brine shrimp in there pretty quick. He has been eating, and we hope that he may be OK. We will have to wait and see if he survives his ordeal. In the meantime, one of the others who was trapped in the filter perished, but all others are OK.

Knowing that this is a fairly common problem I wanted to pass on this method that we used to set the fish free.
I don't know why Juwel make these aquariums like this. Admittedly ours has been "modified" in as much as when our Goldie died, I emptied it out and wanted to give the filter case a good clean, so I pulled it out, not realising it wasn't like my old Fluval filter and was actually stuck to the glass! At the fish shop they sold me some Juwel Connexo, which I then used to fix the filter back, but it went back in exactly the same place, and I have read of this happening with a factory spec tank. I can't easily do the bead of silicone now either, as the tank is full up, and I don't really have access to another to house the fish, and I don't want to start it all from scratch again. I believe the risk is now low as the Cardinal Tetras and the rest of the danios are now too big to fit in the gap. I doubt the one little danio will want to repeat his experience!

Anyway, I hope this may prove helpful to somebody in the future.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back