Fish sitting at the bottom of my tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Vossy121

Reaction score
My fish are all hanging around the bottom of the tank, I just used API algaefix for the first time the yesterday and I noticed that all my fish are very flaccid. So I checked the PH for the first time and it read 9.0+. I quickly did a 50% water change and they acted a lot better. Now today I've noticed they are all hanging around the bottom not doing much. They go up to get air and then come straight back down.

Do more water changes. Do a massive change so that the fish can still swim up right make sure you temp match and use conditioners. Then monitor them, if they are still hanging around the bottom do another 50% change every other day.

Agree. Whenever there is obviously something toxic in the water, major water changes are the best remedy. I would up the volume to 60-70%, and use a good conditioner, but no other substances.

The algaefix may have been the culprit, or it may have reacted with something else in the water. As a general principle, never use chemicals/additives to deal with algae or snails. Everything put in the tank water will get inside the fish via osmosis or the gills,or both. Medications also must be carefully considered for the same reason. These substances cause stress to the fish at the very least, and some can be deadly on their own, if overdosed, or in reaction with something else.

Byron.

Thank both of you guys for the advice, never using algaefix again!!! I'll get right on the water change. But when I do water changes I add tropical conditioning salts? It's meant to help the fish be healthy and colourful? Should I add this or not?

Thank both of you guys for the advice, never using algaefix again!!! I'll get right on the water change. But when I do water changes I add tropical conditioning salts? It's meant to help the fish be healthy and colourful? Should I add this or not?

What exactly are "tropical conditioning salts?"

I will jump ahead, and assume you mean common salt, sodium chloride, such as aquarium salt. This common salt can make things even worse. You do not mention what fish species you have, but no freshwater fish "need" salt, a few can tolerate it (mollies for example) though it is still not necessary, and some species will have serious difficulty over time. There is no benefit whatever in small amounts of salt notwithstanding one frequently reads to do this. Salt can be a good medication for some parasites, but it needs to be dosed at a much higher level, and only for a brief period, specific to the disease.

Hey again these are the salts

Attachments

• IMG_1166.JPG
    IMG_1166.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 184
  • IMG_1165.JPG
    IMG_1165.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 183
Well, I'm not much more aware of what is in that product than I was, as they don't say.

I also don't know the fish species, nor your source water GH (general hardness), but most tap water along with fish foods is sufficient to replace minerals in fish. If you have moderately-hard water fish (livebearers, rift lake cichlids) in very soft water, you have a problem with lack of minerals. But otherwise, no.

And again assuming common salt is included, this is not beneficial for any fish long-term. The claims made on that website are inaccurate at least in part, again depending upon exactly what is in this product.

Byron.

My current stock is
1 pearl gourami
1 dwarf gourami
2 cardinal tetras
1 orange? Tetra?? ( the other one died)
1 pleco
2 German rams

My current stock is
1 pearl gourami
1 dwarf gourami
2 cardinal tetras
1 orange? Tetra?? ( the other one died)
1 pleco
2 German rams

None of these fish should have mineral problems whatever the GH, so discontinue that salt.

How are they doing now after the water change(s), compared to initially?

But they are acting Ng a lot more normal

What I expected, and hoped to hear, so that's good. The problem was likely either the algaefix on its own, or in combination with the salt. Both would stress out freshwater fish.

Don't be afraid to do further water changes, they cannot hurt and are beneficial. It will help the fish to get this out of their system and return to a more normal metabolism.

Byron.

Is there any way to restore their colour?
Lots of clean water at the right temperature, good food and regular water changes and a good quality water conditioner is all you need.

I use and recommend Easy-Life Filter Medium

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back