Fish Selection Not Working Out...(Or I Poisoned The Water)

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Lisa67

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
My fish are dropping like crazy...I redid my old mbuana tank several weeks ago and bought 6 angles, 2 bolivian rams, 4 blue rams (very young ones) and 8 tetra.  So far I've lost 3 angles and 3 blue rams.  My amonia and nitrite levels are 0.  Very little nitrate (not sure of the # as I don't have the kit infront of me).  I do however have very hard water (approx 300 ppm)

About 2 weeks ago I put a piece of drift wood in my tank which I prepared by soaking for over a week, and I boiled it twice, for an hour each time.  I think the wood is OK.  I was unable to get the wood to sink, so my husband attached a small metal bar to the bottom of it...most likely steel.  Is it possible that the steel is leeching something into the water?  Or do you think that my water is just too hard?  I know angles and blue rams like soft water, but the shop where I bought the angels also has very hard water, so it wasn't a big change for them... and I've had them for several weeks.

Once I figure this problem out I'm considering apistogramma cacatoides, as suggested by someone on this forum.  Any info about whether they can survive hard water is appreciated.

Have you been spraying anything near your tank that might have gotten in?

Is your heater heating correctly?

Just a couple of ideas.

How large is the tank? Are the fish displaying any symptoms before death? What is your pH? How big are your angels?

I'll have to check the PH again when I get home. Can't remember. It's a 75 gal tank and the angles are approx 1.5". I have not sprayed anything near the tank and my heaters working fine. My biggest concern is the metal I mentioned.

What are the symptoms of the fish or are you just finding them dead? Steel should be ok unless it was coated with something?

I probably would be interested on your PH as you might need a hardy/soft water fish if there is a big drop/ increase from the fishes suitable PH

When you swapped from your african tank did you change the substrate or do you still have a crushed coral substrate?

Just wondering if this is pushing up the ph even more than what is in at the shop.

Also if they are young they cant have been in the shop that long so perhaps the damage has been done there?

Wills

Boiling wood isn't a good idea as it breaks down the fibers and it will rot much sooner than it normally would. 

But that aside, could the metal piece have been coated with some kind of oil or lubricant?

The metal was not treated with anything.  I see your point about boiling the wood, but I got that advice from multiple sites (including this one) about preparing driftwood for use in aquariums.  It seems to be holding up pretty well.  My PH is 7.4.
Wills- I changed everything in the tank, including the substrate.  However I'll admit that I did not get a new filter, I cleaned out the old one.  I've considered that this could be the problem, but I had the fish several weeks when they started to die.  I have not noticed any odd behavior in the angles before dying.  However, the three blue rams became pale, listless, and seemed to go slowly (I've heard they are just difficult fish to keep).  I do have one angle who seems to hide a lot...hope that's not the next one to go!

Have you performed a huge water change since this started happening? When I say huge, I mean about 90%, just leaving enough water for the fish to swim upright. I'd then dechlorinate with Seachem Prime to help with any unwanted stuff in your water. What temp is your water?

My water temp is about 79-80 which I know is pretty warm, but I think that the angles can tolerate it...I have it that warm because of the blue rams (one left that's going strong).   I have not tried a large water change.  Sounds like a good idea.  My concern with doing changes that large, is that the water temp from my sink is always so hard to regulate.  I live out in the country....I have a well with a water pump, and the temp (and flow) don't seem to stay steady while I'm filling the  thank.  I nearly killed all of my frontosa last summer because I didn't monitor the temp closely enough while filling it.  My water is not chlorinated.  I've had tanks for several years and have never used a de-chlorinator...however, I agree with you.  Maybe the angles are a bit more delicate and there could be something in my water killing them.  I think I will give that a try.

A large water change is usually the first advice we give when fish are in trouble. If nothing else, it buys you some more time and is always good for the fish.

How do you fill your tank? I use buckets and monitor the temp (with a digital thermometer ... I'm a bit anal about that) so each bucket is the same, and usually a couple degrees lower than the tank temp.

I'll never use anything but Seachem Prime when I treat my water. I'd use it even if I didn't have chlorine. Good stuff.

Honestly, I've always had pretty hardy fish...I've always filled it straight from the tap, I stand there with my hand at the outlet to make sure it doesn't get to warm or cool.  The bucket method is much more accurate....and I'd like to say I'd try it but I know that I'll never have the time to do that.  I'm going to get some SeaChem (hope it's easy to find, I don't have many options for pet stores around here).  I think I'll carefully do a 50% change today and again tomorrow. Hope that will help.

OK, thanks!  The angle I mentioned is definitely dying...at least I got to witness it's behavior.  It was swimming rapidly in "circles"..turning on it's side, lunging at the top of the water.  It almost looked like seizure activity.  Any thoughts?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back