Fish not eating

Country joe

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have 7 Harlequin Rasboras, 10 Green Neon Tetras and 8 glowlight tetras in my tank, and 6 black phantom tetras, which have been in the aquarium since 21st May.
When I feed, and I have a good variety of feed, the phantoms are always at the bottom of the tank, so the other fish attack it at the surface and take it when it drops, and the phantoms never move up to take any. It's nearly 3 weeks since I got them, and it's worrying they are not getting any feed, I don't want to put bigger drops in my tank, as it will just lie on the bottom. Any ideas.

Pre-empting someone else asking - what different foods are you trying?

Tetra Pro colour multi crisps. Complete food.
Tropical fish flakes deluxe,
Nt Labs Probiotic,
And bug bites tropical formula, complete food for small tropical fish., I usually try one or the other, but sometimes mix all an crush then add to aquarium the rest of the fish eat well, with any that I use, and have no problem with them.

Feed the top dwellers until they are full and then feed the bottom dwelling fishes until they are full. Then stop feeding and remove uneaten food.

Don't worry about seeing them feed. Look at their body weight to see if there's a problem. They may eat over a longer period, grazing. I have a species here I never see eat, but they grow, have bred and are very healthy.

Feed the top dwellers until they are full and then feed the bottom dwelling fishes until they are full. Then stop feeding and remove uneaten food.
2nd that.
I have guppies, Cory's and Oto's.

The guppies always muscle in and choose the Cory/Oto food first. So I feed them first, wait a few mintues then drop in the Cory/Oto pellets/wafers.

2nd that.
I have guppies, Cory's and Oto's.

The guppies always muscle in and choose the Cory/Oto food first. So I feed them first, wait a few mintues then drop in the Cory/Oto pellets/wafers.
I tried that and it wasn't successful I watched some of the feed pass down right in front of their noses, and they didn't look at it, but later I tried frozen daphnia that I had forgotten about, and they went mad for it, will try them with frozen bloodworm tomorrow, I can get live daphnia at the shop but none came in last week, will try again this Saturday

If you buy a bag of live Daphnia, you should put it in a container of green water outside and let them grow. Then take some of them and put them in a few more containers so you can have a regular supply of them for the fish. You can feed the Daphnia on infusoria or green water (single celled algae).

More info about culturing them can be found at the following link.

If you buy a bag of live Daphnia, you should put it in a container of green water outside and let them grow. Then take some of them and put them in a few more containers so you can have a regular supply of them for the fish. You can feed the Daphnia on infusoria or green water (single celled algae).

More info about culturing them can be found at the following link.
Thanks Colin, but I think I will stick with the feed I'm using and frozen daphnia and bloodworm, I also buy live feed from my Aqua shop once a week, fed as a treat, as they loved the frozen daphnia will try them today with frozen bloodworm.
Funny thing is, the tub feed that they don't seem keen on, is the same that the Aqua shop fed, and the manager told me they ate no problem, I know when first introduced they won't feed, but they have been in the tank for a month.

Most reactions

Back