- 2 angelfish
- 1 bristlenose pleco
- 3 otocinclus
- 5 prestilla tetras
- 1 neon tetra
- 4 harlequin rasboras
- 3 platys
- a few snails

which of these should I get more of so that they will feel more comfortable, I know that many of themare schooling fish, so how many should I get of each? I just tried to get more neons, but they were sick when I got them and died within a day. I also know that I should have more khuli loaches. I am planning on getting a few shrimp as well.I’ve never had issues with ammonia and my nitrite issues have been fixed. The tank is not planted, but has a few moss balls and I might add some plants. I have a Fluvol canister filter And since it’s a long tank there is plenty of swimming room, but I think I’m pushing it already (new to the hobby) and I’m scared of overstocking, but also of stressing my fish by not having a proper school

Last edited:
Almost all of your fish need more numbers.
You have too many different species.

Corydoras should be enough at 7 and Pleco is ok to be alone.
Snails don't need to be in group.

Angel fish are not suitable for your tank as they grow large and not suitable for your smaller and peaceful fish.
Your shrimps will become food for your Angel fish when they grow larger and the shrimplets have no chance to survive.

I was led to believe that I only need three of each schooling fish. I spoke to a couple of long time fish owners and they said that angels are fine for my tank. What should I do now? I won’t get any shrimp (unless there’s a way with plants and hiding places) but what should I do about the the others? Should I get one more Khuli loach and five neons?

I was led to believe that I only need three of each schooling fish. I spoke to a couple of long time fish owners and they said that angels are fine for my tank. What should I do now? I won’t get any shrimp (unless there’s a way with plants and hiding places) but what should I do about the the others? Should I get one more Khuli loach and five neons?

I don't know who the long-time fish owners may be, or more to the point, what their level of research/knowledge may be; but two angels in a 29g will only work if they are a bonded pair. Two malees will fight to the death of one of them; two females may or may not get along. A male/female pair may bee OK if they selected each other and bonded. Angelfish are shoaling fish, a group of five minimum, a couple more better, in much larger quarters would be their normal requirements. They are likely small now, but they grow to six inches length with a vertical fin span of 8 inches, and that needs space. Plus there are the other fish in this crowded (to the angelfish) space.

The other shoaling species need more, true, but before adding more fish I would suggest sorting things out.

Angels are a shoaling fish which do best in groups of no less than 5. Unless they are a bonded pair. A 29 might be enough for a single bonded breeding pair but no more. 29 is far too small for a shoal of Angels. The smallest id go for a group of angels is a 75 gallon and that might be too small.
In the wild shoaling fish live in groups of hundres, 6 is the suggested minimum for shoaling fish like tera the more the merrier.
Id rehome the angels and fill out your other shoals

Angels are a shoaling fish which do best in groups of no less than 5. Unless they are a bonded pair. A 29 might be enough for a single bonded breeding pair but no more. 29 is far too small for a shoal of Angels. The smallest id go for a group of angels is a 75 gallon and that might be too small.
In the wild shoaling fish live in groups of hundres, 6 is the suggested minimum for shoaling fish like tera the more the merrier.
Id rehome the angels and fill out your other shoals
How do I tell if they’re bonded? I got them as babies in February and haven’t seen any aggression between them or toward other fish, of course this may change as they get older, but I haven’t seen any problems with them, they seem pretty happy and peaceful right now

I don't know who the long-time fish owners may be, or more to the point, what their level of research/knowledge may be; but two angels in a 29g will only work if they are a bonded pair. Two malees will fight to the death of one of them; two females may or may not get along. A male/female pair may bee OK if they selected each other and bonded. Angelfish are shoaling fish, a group of five minimum, a couple more better, in much larger quarters would be their normal requirements. They are likely small now, but they grow to six inches length with a vertical fin span of 8 inches, and that needs space. Plus there are the other fish in this crowded (to the angelfish) space.

The other shoaling species need more, true, but before adding more fish I would suggest sorting things out.
i got them in February pretty small, so they’ve gotten bigger, but not fully grown yet. I have to check if they’re male or female because I don’t know yet, but they are

How do I tell if they’re bonded? I got them as babies in February and haven’t seen any aggression between them or toward other fish, of course this may change as they get older, but I haven’t seen any problems with them, they seem pretty happy and peaceful right now
as far as i know they wont bond until sexually mature. Would help if you knew if they were male or female. Post some pics byron or some one might be able to sex them for you. If they are 2 males like byron said once they reach sexual maturity theyll kill eachother. If 2 females who knows they may not kill each other but wont bond and will be stressed due to not being in a shoal.

Okay, I will send pics as soon as I can.
as far as i know they wont bond until sexually mature. Would help if you knew if they were male or female. Post some pics byron or some one might be able to sex them for you. If they are 2 males like byron said once they reach sexual maturity theyll kill eachother. If 2 females who knows they may not kill each other but wont bond and will be stressed due to not being in a shoal.
If they’re the same sex, would it make sense to rehome one and get one Another opposite sex?

So I have a 29 gal long Community tank with the following fish:
- 2 khuli loaches
- 7 corydoras
- 2 angelfish
- 1 bristlenose pleco
- 3 otocinclus
- 5 prestilla tetras
- 1 neon tetra
- 4 harlequin rasboras
- 3 platys
- a few snails

which of these should I get more of so that they will feel more comfortable, I know that many of themare schooling fish, so how many should I get of each? I just tried to get more neons, but they were sick when I got them and died within a day. I also know that I should have more khuli loaches. I am planning on getting a few shrimp as well.I’ve never had issues with ammonia and my nitrite issues have been fixed. The tank is not planted, but has a few moss balls and I might add some plants. I have a Fluvol canister filter And since it’s a long tank there is plenty of swimming room, but I think I’m pushing it already (new to the hobby) and I’m scared of overstocking, but also of stressing my fish by not having a proper school
I know this is really bad, but I forgot to add the platys before, please bare with me, I really want to fix my mistakes

Okay, I will send pics as soon as I can.

If they’re the same sex, would it make sense to rehome one and get one Another opposite sex?
Not if they dont bond then the male will just kill the female even if she lays eggs. Having said that you have way too many other fish to keep with a bonded pair in a 29. A 29 might be ok with maybe a bonded pair alone with 1 small shoal of dither fish but still id go bigger for a bonded pair, no smaller than a tall 40 gallon

848CC9B2-209A-4216-A1C7-5F08864AA40B.jpeg
AD820D0A-84CC-4678-99BD-9668602276EE.jpeg

Top one looks like a male to me. Bumpy head, jagged fin... I could be wrong though

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back