The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Ellie Potts

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hey! I've been doing a lot of research about different types of fish, tanks, filters, heaters, etc to get my first fish tank (or at least my first tank that I alone own) but struggled to find information on fish nutrition. I'm planning on keeping 2 dwarf gouramis, 2 killifish, 10 neon tetras, and 2 African dwarf frogs in this tank. I understand the frogs will need sinking pellets but am lost other than that. How should I give the fish a varied diet? What kind of flakes should I use to best bring out their color? Do I bother with live or frozen food? Some of these fish are omnivores, how do I make sure they're getting the fiber they need from plants? I already have some flies that I use to feed my praying mantids which I could use as a treat. Any help at all is appreciated, thanks!

I feed my tetras Fluval Bug Bites, Omega One and Hikari Micro Pellets along with live mosquito larvae I catch. For sinking pellets I use Wardley shrimp pellets for my cory.

Frogs should be kept in a species only tank. @Retired Viking has already commented on this in another thread and I agree with him.

Not only is it difficult to make sure the frogs don't starve in a tank with fish, they can't cope with fish medication so if the fish ever get sick there is a problem.

Frogs should be kept in a species only tank. @Retired Viking has already commented on this in another thread and I agree with him.

Not only is it difficult to make sure the frogs don't starve in a tank with fish, they can't cope with fish medication so if the fish ever get sick there is a problem.
I'm so glad people told me, will definitely skip out on the frogs until they can have their own tank.

Definitely move the frogs to their own tank with a good heater, they get cold and stop eating. Plus make sure to feed your AFD with tongs to ensure they get properly fed. I usually feed my AFD and all my fish frozen live food. I usually buy mysis shrimp, blood worms, baby brine shrimp, and beef heart, these at (petco and petsmart.)

Definitely move the frogs to their own tank with a good heater, they get cold and stop eating. Plus make sure to feed your AFD with tongs to ensure they get properly fed. I usually feed my AFD and all my fish frozen live food. I usually buy mysis shrimp, blood worms, baby brine shrimp, and beef heart, these at (petco and petsmart.)
Welcome to the forum :hi:

. How should I give the fish a varied diet
The issue as your rightly pointed out we hold fish with different dietary requirements in our tanks (unless you go single species)
Most people on here would advocate a varied diet, I myself use pelleted feeds from Otohimi (get it from work...Very$$$) and follow up with some algae pellets for a few, with the odd cucumber or Ulva (Marine) and blood worms/brine shrimp/ copepods ect

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back