fish dying, newbie tropical keeper

j@mie

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
i was told, i didnt listen, it was 2 late, i stocked up. I eat my words.

I have just bought a test kit for my water as my fish are dying. these are my readings

Ammonia: 04
Nitrite: 0.5

i was talking to clutterydrawer last nite who kindly helped me out, she is offline at the moment, can any1 tell me what to do asap.

Many thanks

It appears that your tank is still cycling. Do a 25% water change every day to keep the ammonia levels down. Put in a activated carbon filter to catch any other harmful elements.

If you know someone who has a tank that has been running for a long time, get some gravel from them and put into your tank.

Dubby said:
It appears that your tank is still cycling. Do a 25% water change every day to keep the ammonia levels down. Put in a activated carbon filter to catch any other harmful elements.

If you know someone who has a tank that has been running for a long time, get some gravel from them and put into your tank.
do u think my fish will survive @ these levels? ive already done a water change today. I just dont wanna lose anymore of my fish :(

they will not survive with ammonia at 4, in fact even the slightest presence of ammonia will make them ill...even like 0.25.. keep up with thsoe water changes, good luck. :)

tstenback said:
HAve to pile on. The water changes are the only thing that will give your fish a fighting chance so do them religiously and good luck. Keep us posted. :)
once a day ? :eek:

You could try getting some Ammo-Lock2. This will 'lock' the Ammonia away almost instantly giving relief to your fish BUT, remember that all it is doing is 'locking' it away not removing it! (Water changes will dilute it over time)
Regular water changes are the only real solution to high Ammonia and most people would not advise adding any chemicals to a tank that are not essential.

IMO if it saves the fish, do it.

Good luck

thing about ammo-lock is it screws up your test readings so you can't work out how the cycle's going...

clutterydrawer said:
thing about ammo-lock is it screws up your test readings so you can't work out how the cycle's going...
nitrate is 0.25 now, i did another water change this aft, didnt make any difference to the ammonia though. I emptied just about half the tank, is this enough? any more or less?

thanks guys

canarsie11 said:
That will be cool, but you can do than more water change a day.
i did 2 today :eek:, how many would u suggest ?

lilygardn said:
Jamie,

I did the same with my tank. Lost a few fish. I had my water tested at the store ad it said 4.0 (blue on the test stick). They told me to put the ammonia lock in it ( I am also treating for ich) so that the fish even have a chance. I did, and within the hour they are more active and happier looking.

I would save the fish, worry about the cycle later. I am a newbie again (i had fish til I was 20 and went on vacation and someone killed them,overfed) so I am starting out and relearning it all again, so take my advice sparingly. :dunno:

BEST OF LUCK!

Charity B)
but if i use ammonia lock, arnt i just putting off the inevitable ?

this mornings readings

Ammonia: 0.4
Nitrite 0.1
Nitrate 12.5
PH 9.0

after these readings i did a 75% water change, will test the water again later :eek:

im lost now, sum1 tell me what 2 do. Ive lost another 3 fishes today :(

Go ahead an use Ammolock. It should help.

How big is your tank and how many fish do you have?

Most reactions

trending

Back