Fish cruelty at its best... or maybe worst

This is true, but you canā€™t stop a whole chain of petstores to stop keeping bettas in cups. You can raise awareness to poor lads who would keep them in a cup or something like that. But it change anything huge. It will still change things, yes, but not anything massive.
I disagree if nobody buys them, they won't stock them. It is as easy as that.

Bur you canā€™t just tell everybody to stop buying from fish stores. The whole reason fish stores are chains is to spread there companies, as you know, and the more companies, the more fish they sell etc. There are over 1500 petsmart locations. You canā€™t tell someone to stop buying from a store so prominent and easy to find. These days, the easier the better.

This is true, but you canā€™t stop a whole chain of petstores to stop keeping bettas in cups. You can raise awareness to poor lads who would keep them in a cup or something like that. But it change anything huge. It will still change things, yes, but not anything massive.
I agree on that and don't think we could.
But if one member doesn't buy (or rescue) such a fish, or argues with the shopowner about this, then that's a small step.
The goldfishbowls aren't sold anymore by a lot of shops, cause people protested against it.

Bur you canā€™t just tell everybody to stop buying from fish stores. The whole reason fish stores are chains is to spread there companies, as you know, and the more companies, the more fish they sell etc. There are over 1500 petsmart locations. You canā€™t tell someone to stop buying from a store so prominent and easy to find. These days, the easier the better.
But you can tell such shops to treat there livestock in a decent way (several do I think).

@OliveFish05 I'm SO sorry for your loss! I know how it feels...

On a second note, not relating to Olive's loss I am going to try not to participate in this chat as I feel it will get heated if I stay... I understand people will disagree with my views but people are starting to be a bit too defensive... So I will leave this conversation on the note to agree to disagree

On a second note, not relating to Olive's loss I am going to try not to participate in this chat as I feel it will get heated if I stay... I understand people will disagree with my views but people are starting to be a bit too defensive... So I will leave this conversation on the note to agree to disagree
Completely agree.

Can we keep this chat to a less heated way of talking? Even though online, we are all fellow humans and have feelings and want to be treated equally āœŒļø ā˜®ļø

Think we mainly think / say the same but in a different way.

People here complain about the chain stores all the time. If you really think they are that bad don't go into them every again. If nobody goes to these shops they will disappear. Stand up and get them shut down, I challenge everyone here not to walk into one of these stores again and take your business solely down to your local privately run LFS.

People here complain about the chain stores all the time. If you really think they are that bad don't go into them every again. If nobody goes to these shops they will disappear. Stand up and get them shut down, I challenge everyone here not to walk into one of these stores again and take your business solely down to your local privately run LFS.

THAT would actually make a difference. Don't buy anything from them: dog food, cat toys, etc. And let them know why. If someone feels so strongly about this, they can take a personal moral stand and handle the inconvenience of not using these stores.

Reminds me of the parable often told in teaching: A man was walking down a beach and saw a girl carefully putting a starfish back into the water. There were hundreds of starfish washed up ashore. She would carefully take one, put it back in the ocean and repeat the process. The man said. "What are you doing? There's too many of them! What does it matter?!"

The girl put one in the ocean, looked up and said, "Mattered to that one."

The issue tween pets is plain and simple

A human can cuddle a cat or dog or even a horse...you can play and interact with them, so their loss is generally more acute

A fish has glass tween it and you, doesn't generally play catch or cuddle onto your lap...so there is not quite the same connection there (and humans eat fish too, so that doesn't help in the identifying a fish as a cherished pet scenario either)

That said...

The power of the buying public CAN make a difference. Pet chainstores across the world have taken it into their own individual branches if not across the chain to stop buying in and thus selling all livestock. The decisions to stop selling all livestock has come from pressure from organisations like PETA but from the public too who when alterted to the bad practices have contacted their local branches, have contacted their local animal charities, have contacted their local government departments who care about livestock sales (every city/county/state has one of those departments).

If there is enough non aggressive pressure against something, a boycott, loud but legal protest, petitions...stores WILL and HAVE stopped selling livestock, whether it be a fluffy bunny or a fish. They will stop if there is enough pressure to do so.

The brain size and capacity of memory also comes into play. If you see a tiny jumping spider in a cup, yes it would be sad, but the brain is small and not as developed. Whereas elephants are super intellegent creatures. As you climb the rank in fish size, you will eventually get into larger memory, more stimulation, and more. If you put an intelligent creature in a space the size they are, they would get depressed and end up dieing, whereas the said jumping spider would just have a small home.
This is just so wrong on many levels.
To begin with, size of the animal has no correspondence whatsoever with its cognitive abilities. With that logic, an elephant would be way, way more intelligent than your good self.
(Behave at the back! ;) )

Likewise, neither brain size, nor the proportion of the brain to the rest of the body should be taken as any indication. We have one brain, but there are creatures with several and each can act independently or in unison with others.

As a species, our arrogance is unlimited when it comes down to measuring our fellow creatures and we insist on comparing them to our allegedly brilliant selves. šŸ™„

This is just so wrong on many levels.
To begin with, size of the animal has no correspondence whatsoever with its cognitive abilities. With that logic, an elephant would be way, way more intelligent than your good self.
(Behave at the back! ;) )

Likewise, neither brain size, nor the proportion of the brain to the rest of the body should be taken as any indication. We have one brain, but there are creatures with several and each can act independently or in unison with others.

As a species, our arrogance is unlimited when it comes down to measuring our fellow creatures and we insist on comparing them to our allegedly brilliant selves. šŸ™„
Agree.
For instance :
Started keeping bees 4 years back.
I think those little buggers are so incredibly "smart" we humans could learn tons of them. They even smell / sense what your mood is and don't open the hive when you're messed (other word isn't allowed) up.

They'll hunt hou down AND STING hahahaha

I think animals should be our example

Most reactions

trending

Back