Fish cruelty at its best... or maybe worst

I'm not saying it's the best way to keep them, but it is a practical way to keep large numbers of them. Most customers want variety and the shops carry a number of fish for the customers. The shops can't put the fish in normal tanks with other fish because they get bashed so they keep them in the little containers.

It's a compromise. You lot want variety, the shops need to carry quantity for you. Then you complain about the lack of room the fish have. If you don't want to see Bettas in small containers, encourage the shop to build small aquariums, or don't buy Bettas. They are a man made mutant anyway.

This hobby / trade is all about human compromises

Just like the fellow in the last vid says : "It is so cool, it is so cool" says it all.

Warning......images are very upsetting in this article

I have a love/hate thinking on PETA, sometimes they do go too far but where Betta are concerned (and Petco & other chainstores), they have made very valid points backed up with photo's and video....that along with experiences from customers reported on various websites and forums, this is just the tip of a very big iceberg

The ONLY way that this sort of thing can be halted is if the market for these (and other fish) did not exist. But given the popularity of Betta, all we humans can do is demand more humane treatment of them from breeder to vendor.

Warning......images are very upsetting in this article

I have a love/hate thinking on PETA, sometimes they do go too far but where Betta are concerned (and Petco & other chainstores), they have made very valid points backed up with photo's and video....that along with experiences from customers reported on various websites and forums, this is just the tip of a very big iceberg

The ONLY way that this sort of thing can be halted is if the market for these (and other fish) did not exist. But given the popularity of Betta, all we humans can do is demand more humane treatment of them from breeder to vendor.
UNBELIEVABLE how we treat living animals.

Last edited:
My LFS has a display wall of bettas. Each betta has a filtered, heated section of tank. It’s small of course, but their needs are met. Each one has a black background, some gravel, and a plant or rock or hide. They’re cheaper than the chain store bettas too, most of the time. Gorgeous butterfly betta for $8. I wanted it so badly but don’t have my darn 10 gallon right now.

Over the last few years there have been several instances where people have complained so many times that Petco and other pet related stores have actually stopped stocking/selling live fish

The best way to deal with this is to write to the manager and complain and keep complaining until they either stock Betta in decent display aquaria or they stop selling them altogether.

Just write a polite, non-aggressive letter explaining how cruel the cup practice is and suggesting alternatives. Get friends and family to do the same....keep it polite and non-aggressive. If that fails, then write to whoever is in charge of livestock buying at the HQ, share photo's with him/her...again be polite and non-aggressive and state that you and others feel that the practice is cruelty and that other branches have stopped doing it or stopped stocking livestock completely
thats a good idea

I wonder if they change the betta's water in those cups very often. If they don't, ammonia will build up. Also the cups lack heating and the betta would be very uncomfortable as they like it around 78 degrees F.
I dont think they change it.

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    35.8 KB · Views: 25
They might be in a fish room where the temperature is constant.

My concern is whether the lids have holes in for fresh air to get into the container.
there is no hole for air. and they are not in a fish room either. the temp is kinda cool

My LFS has a display wall of bettas. Each betta has a filtered, heated section of tank. It’s small of course, but their needs are met. Each one has a black background, some gravel, and a plant or rock or hide. They’re cheaper than the chain store bettas too, most of the time. Gorgeous butterfly betta for $8. I wanted it so badly but don’t have my darn 10 gallon right now.
thats how they should be treated

A lot of you guys will disagree... Which I understand... I think the way stores hold bettas is very cruel BUT they are a store selling stuff... What do you expect? Its for the owner of the fish to provide a good home and while the store is the "owner" of the fish they are busy... I think the center of the problem should be adressed which is not the care of the animals (which does matter very much) but the false/lack of information. Once they start talking anout minimum tank sizes and cycling tanks reasonable people will call them out as hypocrites for saying the truth on how the fish should be cared for... Instead of just family and friends (a small group of people) there will be a ton of people calling them out... So there are two ways to offer live fish services... 1) store them correctly. Or 2) Offer special ordering to pick up fish

A lot of you guys will disagree... Which I understand... I think the way stores hold bettas is very cruel BUT they are a store selling stuff... What do you expect? Its for the owner of the fish to provide a good home and while the store is the "owner" of the fish they are busy... I think the center of the problem should be adressed which is not the care of the animals (which does matter very much) but the false/lack of information. Once they start talking anout minimum tank sizes and cycling tanks reasonable people will call them out as hypocrites for saying the truth on how the fish should be cared for... Instead of just family and friends (a small group of people) there will be a ton of people calling them out... So there are two ways to offer live fish services... 1) store them correctly. Or 2) Offer special ordering to pick up fish
thats true

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back