Fish cruelty at its best... or maybe worst

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

It's very hard to see fish properly through curved plastic but more convenient to carry then plastic bag.
I guess it's fine
The curved plastic would actually magnify the fish, making it look bigger than it actually is.
I think it's far from 'fine'.

That sad image just looks like a load of fish waiting to die. :(

The curved plastic would actually magnify the fish, making it look bigger than it actually is.
I think it's far from 'fine'.

That sad image just looks like a load of fish waiting to die. :(
You are right. Curved plastic would make fish look bigger and image distorted. It's not fine to look and choose

This short video illustrates how Betta could be displayed for sale, without abuse 24/7.

This was from one of my (relatively) local Maidenhead Aquatics.
Note that each fish as some space and something to hide behind, should it feel the need.
Each fish is also totally unaware of its neighbours, so it doesn't need to get too stressed out by flaring up all of the time.

This short video illustrates how Betta could be displayed for sale, without abuse 24/7.

Note that each fish as some space and something to hide behind, should it feel the need.
Each fish is also totally unaware of its neighbours, so it doesn't need to get too stressed out by flaring up all of the time.
Wow, that is even nicer than my LFS’s display!

You're right.
It is simply because of some people, who don't know any better, 'look and choose' that the shop continues to thrive, regardless of its abhorrent practices.
They are just fine like that, people just blame Pet shops for their own ignorance and poor care.
But that fish is perfectly healthy and fine like that and it will have 0 effect on it's well being.
To quote someone:

"Unfortunately, the internet is awash with those who really don't know what they're doing and who managed to kill off their fish long before their time. Such people will then talk about lousy genetics, interbreeding or the detail that 'the fish was poorly when I bought it from the shop', rather than admit their own ignorance and/or poor care."

So you see: fish is just fine like that, it's the ignorant customers that care poorly for the fish that actually cause harm to fish, not Pet shop practices.
Or so I've been told.
:)

Wooaah, your petco bassicaly looks like my PetSmart. My petco had way more healthy bettas when I went there than this. I’m surprised yours has fish this unhealthy, I thought petcos were super good, never mind that I guess.
i know! I thought they were better than this. smh

Honestly I think this is worse. Three glofish in a half gallon, nothing in there and they are suspended in the air. The author's attitude about it makes me sick. She literally acknowledges the fact that her fish never live long and that she hates doing the water changes. In the comments, several people kindly told her that the setup was not appropriate, offering suggestions and she ignored many of them, replying to other comments with "you just can't win everybody"

Honestly I think this is worse. Three glofish in a half gallon, nothing in there and they are suspended in the air. The author's attitude about it makes me sick. She literally acknowledges the fact that her fish never live long and that she hates doing the water changes. In the comments, several people kindly told her that the setup was not appropriate, offering suggestions and she ignored many of them, replying to other comments with "you just can't win everybody"

The fact that, that person is trying to make it sound like the best thing in the world.. smh.

Last edited:
The fact that, that person is trying to make it sound like the best thing in the world.. smh.
Ikr. It seems like if you are going to make an educational blog or post, you would like look into it. It just shows how prevalent the idea that fish go in bowls is in todays world

And that is how easy it is to do the job properly

This is a different animal...a chameleon...however it shows what humans can do to stop bad practice and lack of care in pet shops. The pet shop in this article is not far from me, they used to stock aquatic species but stopped after experiencing issues some time ago. It is not a big chain store.

Take note of the intervention of an animal charity and the court's punishment for what happened to the animal and procedures laid down to prevent future issues.

In the past the local Pets at Home and Maidenhead have both been prosecuted for poor animal care and are under permanent special measures and are closely monitored by the RSPCA

It proves that things can be done if humans stand up for the animals and alert animal charities and local government animal legislators....even reporting it to the media can work wonders since no store regardless of size likes bad publicity.

Another simpering idiot, bleating on about her lovely new 'friends' and 'members of the family'. Those fish will have died soon after in utter misery. :mad:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back