Fish Breeders

If you want a livebearers that's slow to breeding and not get overwheeling with fry, then try some goodeid species.

Like orangetailed goodeids, butterfly splitfin, basslet goodeids and rainbow goodeids they are most common species. They will flocking breeding and rarely eat their own fry, through goodeids are not suitable for community as goodeids are fin nippers.
 
Okay thank you all. I am getting a 47 gallon freshwater tank. I bought a book called WHAT FISH? A buyers guide to tropical fish It had a least 200 types of fish and I am just looking for some good ones. I will list all the fish that I wrote down, please list what fish that I have listed would do good together in a freshwater tank and ones that wouldnt. Obviously im not getting ALL the fish listed. I have no preference for water conditions or anything so whatever fish I get I will change the water to. See I don't know which of these fish would go together so im hoping someone who has experience can tell me what group of fish would go decently well together.

(example) Guppies and Platies would go well together in a freshwater aquarium because they are compatable

If I picked random fish I wouldnt know if they would go well because they have different standards. I picked these fish for a reason, I didnt just write down random fish. Am I asking too much of you folks??



Fish
_____________
Krib
Blockhead
Rosy Barb
Cuming barb
clown barb
black ruby barb
tiger barb
cherry barb
blind cave tetra
black widow tetra
silver tip tetra
glowlight tetra
buenos aires tetra
serpae tetra
neon tetra
x ray tetra
penguin tetra
lyretail killifish
normans lampeye
blue panchax
american flagfish
dwarf gourami
honey gourami
paradisefish
blue ( 3 spot) gourami
croaking gourami
giant danio
pearl danio
zebra danio
white cloud mountain minnow
neon ( warf) rainbowfish
butterfly goodeid
wrestling halfbeak
dwarf topminnow
guppy
red tailed goodeid
swordtail
platy
 
Pick your fish according to the water you have available if you plan on breeding. The only way to safely & consistently change water parameters is to start with ro water, this can get costly.

If you don't plan on breeding most commonly found fish will acclimate fine to your water parameters, the most important thing is consistent water parameters. By trying to adjust tap water you will have variations, depending on the supply sometimes widely. This is not good for fish.
 
So basically your saying whatever my water naturally comes to is how I should leave it?? Well if that is what your saying then I would have off the chart alkaline water that is very soft.
 
Start with the water you have, there are many tricks to getting fish to spawn in the water you have coming out of your tap without having to adjust harness & pH.

The best way to enjoy breeding is to reverse engineer it. Few things are worse than having bred a species only to find out that shops or individuals don't want it, and you are stuck with growing fish that need more tank space as they grow. If you plan on breeding, ask around the local shops what sells well, and what they would buy if it were locally bred. The non-chain shops are usually more receptive to this, the corporate owned stores are stuck buying fish from the suppliers corporate tells them to buy from.

Get involved with a local aquatics club, http://fins.actwin.com/dir/clubs.php

You will get tons of tips from older experienced breeders who are not into computers whatsoever, find out about local auctions to buy & sell fish, as well as find out what species are selling and what are not in your local area.
 
Every club I've ever dealt with is very family oriented, we go on road trips to other clubs auctions. They sell equipment & food as well as fish, I've gotten some of my best deals at auctions. 29 gallon tanks for $3, Eheim 2213 for $10, the list is endless.
 
Wow thats some cheap aquariums. Hey I know this is off topic but my AC broke and its really hot and theres bugs in my house and I HATE bugs. Completely terrified!! what would you do?? I'm scared to sleep now.
 
Wow thats some cheap aquariums. Hey I know this is off topic but my AC broke and its really hot and theres bugs in my house and I HATE bugs. Completely terrified!! what would you do?? I'm scared to sleep now.



spray bug spray all the way around your bed to set up a paramemiter they cant cross?
 
Thank you :) well the people on the chat ( who i was hoping to get help from) where giving links with pictures of spiders ( tarantulas) in the picture and I am so grossed out and now im probably gonna get nightmares. They said the pictures were pictures of Betta fish. They didnt help at all. I have a fear of bugs and that only made it worse, they should be punished..
 
Leave the light off in your room, and a light on outside the room. Bugs are often attracted to light, this & the spray should take care of it.
 
Okay thank you! I guess I'll look at my hellishly long list of fish and narrow it down. Would you recommend any thats on there so far before I start crossing off some?
 
Thank you :) well the people on the chat ( who i was hoping to get help from) where giving links with pictures of spiders ( tarantulas) in the picture and I am so grossed out and now im probably gonna get nightmares. They said the pictures were pictures of Betta fish. They didnt help at all. I have a fear of bugs and that only made it worse, they should be punished..

Ace of spades by any chance? :P

Im gonna cross of all fish that won't breed or breed waaaayy too much off your list!

Fish
_____________
Blockhead
Rosy Barb
Cuming barb
clown barb
black ruby barb
tiger barb
cherry barb
lyretail killifish
normans lampeye
blue panchax
american flagfish
dwarf gourami
honey gourami
blue ( 3 spot) gourami
croaking gourami
pearl danio
zebra danio
neon ( warf) rainbowfish
butterfly goodeid
wrestling halfbeak
dwarf topminnow

Most that i have left in are the ones i am unsure of like the killifish they will breed but i wouldnt expect the fry to survive so oyu would be ok there. I wasn't too sure about the barbs and some fish there i'm not familiar with
 
what fish do you like apart from youre mental obsession with mollies!! lol. name a few! x
 

Most reactions

Back
Top