First Try At A Planted Aquarium

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

clay

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I know I need to slow down at starting new tanks but I have an empty 55 gallon that is just torturing me. I am going to make a planted aquarium out of it. For now it appears that the only thing I need is lights. Got any suggesting for a 48 inch light fixture? Do I need 1 bulb or 4? I am going to make it a planted with either brichardii or rams being put in a some point in time. Could someone give me a list of what all I would need for this aquarium?

Well, there's a number of ways you could go really, low tech (limited selection of plants, low light, no CO2 and little ferts), high tech (higher light, CO2 injection, lots of ferts and a wide choice of plants) or Walstad (soil based substrate, good light, no CO2 or ferts, a natural approach with a circulation pump, kind of a self reliant tank). If going with low or high tech then a good filter is a good start, something with a turn over of around 2000LPH for a tank this size, the most important thing with growing plants is flow to ensure the plants get what they need. :) Low tech you could use say 48Watts of T8 bulbs in there, high tech you could use say 30 watts of LED's or 48Watts of T5 bulbs or even higher, the choice is yours. The higher the light the more need for flow as under higher light the plants will photosynthesise faster.

Brichardii and Rams are at the opposite end of the PH scale, so what ever your water is will determine the fish choice. I guess RO water is no problem seeing as you have a marine tank up and running, but to have Brichardii you're looking at around a ph of 8 for them to really thrive.

Brichardii and Rams are at the opposite end of the PH scale, so what ever your water is will determine the fish choice. I guess RO water is no problem seeing as you have a marine tank up and running, but to have Brichardii you're looking at around a ph of 8 for them to really thrive.
Had a marine tank. I just sold all marine stuff and am currently in the process of an african cichlid tank.

Well, there's a number of ways you could go really, low tech (limited selection of plants, low light, no CO2 and little ferts), high tech (higher light, CO2 injection, lots of ferts and a wide choice of plants) or Walstad (soil based substrate, good light, no CO2 or ferts, a natural approach with a circulation pump, kind of a self reliant tank). If going with low or high tech then a good filter is a good start, something with a turn over of around 2000LPH for a tank this size, the most important thing with growing plants is flow to ensure the plants get what they need. :) Low tech you could use say 48Watts of T8 bulbs in there, high tech you could use say 30 watts of LED's or 48Watts of T5 bulbs or even higher, the choice is yours. The higher the light the more need for flow as under higher light the plants will photosynthesise faster.
Ok so is there any specific t5 light fixtures that are beloww $100 and also any chemical fertilizers I might need. Also maybe a substrate?

Aa your in the states I'm not too sure but over here a good all in one substrate that doesn't need capping is florabase, don't know if its available over there. Same with lighting I'm afraid, ebay is worth a look if your on a budget and for fertilisers you can order from over here from aqua essentials and they'll ship to you, Nourish and Nourish+ are a good start as you get a lot for your money just buy twice as much Nourish+ as you buy of Nourish as its double the dosage for high tech. If you go low tech you can use regular Nourish. I'm not sure whats available over there so these are my only suggestions mate sorry.

Thanks I do believe that we have that substrate. My lfs has a black looking substrate that looks a bit like dirt. Could I maybe set an inch deep layer of this and then come back and put black sand over it?

Thanks I do believe that we have that substrate. My lfs has a black looking substrate that looks a bit like dirt. Could I maybe set an inch deep layer of this and then come back and put black sand over it?

Hi
did you get a name for it? Capping usually works just fine

Nutritious substrates aren't essential.Many people keep great tanks with just sand, but they give you more leeway regarding dosing nutrients.
If you use inert sand, then you have to dose the water column with ferts to get better growth.

Either way if its your first planted tank I'd go with a clay based substrate, much more forgiving as it soaks up excess nutrients.

Had a marine tank. I just sold all marine stuff and am currently in the process of an african cichlid tank.

Didn't really answer the question though? Pick the fish that suits your water chemistry... That way you can concentrate more on what the plants want/need and won't have to worry about the fish. :good:

I will do that. And here is the aquarium. 55gallon with a single strip t8 30000k light 30w and a biowheel filter. Will these work?
IMAG0573.jpg
Idk why the picture is upside down my phine is mentally ill.

My first plants that I plan to add are dwarf baby tears and red/green cabomba. Any relatively cheap plants that anyone can think of?

I just bought some Eco complete. It was only $12 a bag. I also bought a couple vals some pgmy chain swords and a sword.

Most reactions

trending

Back