First time owning Dwarf Gouramis!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Allisonjohnson2031

Reaction score
Hello,
Although I’m not a total beginner in fish keeping, I’m not the most experienced and i am definitely looking for some advice on a couple questions that I’m having a hard time getting solid answers to anywhere else. I recently purchased 3 dwarf Gouramis and i am so happy I did! Prior to purchasing them I found it commonly stated that male Gouramis do not do well together and a good ratio is 2 females per 1 male. I chose to go with that and was lucky enough that my local pet store had (from what i believe) 2 females and 1 male! They’ve been doing great in the tank together thus far and i haven't Seen any signs of aggression. I think I correctly sexed then because from What I have seen if the dorsal fin is rounded the fish is female and if it is longer and comes to a point it’s male. 2 of the 3 i got im almost 100% sure of the sex because one has a distinctive pointed tail and the other is larger with faint stripes on the body and a rounded tail. The thing about the 3rd one is, i think it is younger so I belive the tail is rounded but the fish is smaller and some forums say when they grow the dorsal fin can change as well, and i want To be 100% sure it is female so i can Avoid any aggression between the fish in the future. I’ll post some pictures and hopefully someone can help me determine the sex?? The first picture is the fish I’m pretty sure is female since it’s the largest and the dorsal fin is clearly rounded. The second is of what i believe To be the male since you can see the dorsal fin is distinctly pointed. And the last picture (the fish eating) is the fish i THINK is female but I’m just not 100%. The fin is rounded but it is also sort of longer. Can anyone help?! :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 112
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 107
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 102
Fish #1 does seem female, heavier body and more subdued colouring.

Fish #2 for sure male.
Fish #3 i am leaning towards male. The red border on the fin is really bright, and has more colouration, plus that dorsal is fairly pointed.

But, wait til they colour up some. Powder blue DG can be tricky to sex (but also the colouration you are more likely to find a female hidden in, since females are actually rare in some areas).

This is a normal female, also gravid in this photo, hence the plump body. You can see the shape and muted colours. In most mutations of DG, the females are plain silver. In powder blues, theyre plainer than powder blue males, though still blue rather than silver.

20200420_121425.jpg

Just be sure, have a 3 foot tank minimum for more than one, even with females. The males can be turds even to the females.

Hi, I would say you have 3 males unfortunately, the point of the dorsal isn't always a reliable way of telling Dwarf Gourami as males can have quite rounded fins. (Pic 1)However it appears to be quite large and from the looks of the photo clearly goes into the tail fin. The orange colour is also more vibrant than you would typically expect in a female powder blue.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back