FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

joela927

Reaction score
I have recently started a fish tank which is a 40 gallon feeder that currently has 3 blood parrots, 2 jewel cichlids, 2 firemouths, 3 red zebras and 2 Mainganos. They are all fairly small. However one of the Firemouths seemed to immediately be tentative, but otherwise seemed fine. Then, 4 days after I got them, I came to feed them and that Firemouth had frayed fins and seemed to be very beat up. That was yesterday and I am going to get a breeder net to separate him, but I am 95% sure it is too late and he or she will not make it. The other Firemouth seems fine and looks very healthy along with the other fish. Should I stay away from getting a 2nd Firemouth again? And should I immediately separate a cichlid if he seems to be staying away from everyone else?

Yes do stay away from getting a second Firmouth and I mean you don't have to seperate them if they are staying away sometimes thats just territory.

I realize the fish may be "small" now, but these cannot remain together. The Firemouth, being a relatively peaceful cichlid, is the first to get it but it will continue unless you separate these fish now.

Where to begin.

First, the Maingano and red zebra are rift lake cichlids. They have very different requirements respecting water parameters and the aquascape. A 40g is not sufficient space and there are issues with numbers and other species that I will leave for members with more knowledge of the African cichlids. But these fish certainly cannot be kept with the others you have.

The Firemouths would be fine in a pair (male/female, not two males) in the 40g, alone.

The Jewels get 6-8 inches and need a 4-foot tank. They are aggressive. Best if a male/female pair has formed, no other cichlids. If two non-paired, one will likely be dead before long.

Blood Parrots. You could have one or maybe two in this tank, alone. These attain 6-9 inches, and live up to 15 years.

Unless you have a bevy of larger tanks for these fish to be housed in, which they will need, individually, you should re-home them quickly. It is not fair to the fish to force them into what are very stressful conditions.

Byron.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back