Parrot cichlid dying one by one

Nanachi

Reaction score
I have 120 gallon tank for only parrot cichlids. Runs off of 2 pumps that are in total able to do 250 gallons of filtration. There is 11 cichlids within the tank (roughly 4-5inch each). 1 is currently free floating upside down and on its side. I tested the water and have no nitrate or nitrites, PH of 6.5 and a GH of 180ppm. There is no signs of sunken or bloated belly. No white dots or frayed fins.Slim coats looks fine on all fish. All other fish seem to be doing fine. I believe there is something underlying do to another cichlid doing the same thing 2 months ago before passing.

Pictures and video of all the fish and a picture of the entire aquarium so we can see how it's set up?
Video can be uploaded to YouTube, then copy & paste the link here.
If you use a mobile phone to film the fish, hold the phone horizontally (landscape mode) so the footage fills the entre screen and doesn't have black bars on either end.

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

What is the ammonia level?

Have you added anything to the tank in the 2 weeks before this started?
What did you do in the tank yesterday?

Was the fish eating and swimming normally yesterday?
Is the fish eating today?
What does the fish's poop look like?
Is it breathing heavily?

How often do you do water changes and how much do you change?
Do you gravel clean the substrate when you do water changes?
Do you dechlorinate the new water before adding it to the tank?

What sort of filter is on the tank?
How often do you clean the filter and how do you clean it?

Parrots are lab creations with deformed mouths. The original fish that they were created from included some very aggressive ones. However, with the mouth deformity, they can't fight as they'd like to. Or at least they couldn't. Genes being genes, a lot of young parrots are being born with less of the deformity, and in groups, as they mature, they do kill tankmates. Their inner nature is breaking out.

They are popular, and they some do breed, so that desired deformity isn't holding.

I'm assuming you're talking about the lumpy orange parrots. The trade name is used for one natural species and for the petrie dish fish (the far more popular one). If you had 'natural parrots' in a large group, the numbers would already be reduced. But I suspect you are seeing natural attrition in an unnatural fish. Some or one of your parrots is not as handicapped as the others. And swim bladders are getting hit.

Most reactions

Back