FIN ROT

BIGMAC

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I hope some one can help me out here please.... a friend of mine has a male betta with fin rot but i really dont know whats causing it.Her tank is fully cycled and has been up and running for 5 month .The fish has been in the tank for 4 months there are no other fish in there.It is a 5 gall tank, her water perams are good ammonia 0. nitrite 0, nitrate,i test it each week for her and water changes are done weekly.Fresh water that is added is dechlorinated so i have no idea whats causing the problem.The fish is still eating ok and blowing bubble nests but its fin is rotting away we have been using meds for fin rot but they dont seem to be working . The meds are called disease clear.
Please can any one give me some advice on this problem.
Thanx Sue :dunno:

I can't help with what is causing it. :/

I might be able to with meds. :) I am currently treating it in my tank and have seen major improvement in 48 hours using a combination of MelaFix, PimaFix, and Wardley's Ich Away.

I thought there might be ich, so I am treating with all three. Which means I can't say for sure which one is doing the best help. But one of my Male guppies who was getting extremely bad has healed about 50% of the damage in 48 hours. :)

i used melafix when my molly had a touch of fin rot. saying that i've heard it's bad to use that on bettas and you should try bettafix by the same company that make melafix.

I was reading on that. The only difference between Melafix and Bettafix is the amount of the active ingredient.

You just have to dilute Melafix. :)

There is a think about in the bettas forum if you search.

Fin rot can also be caused by too much water circulation. Bettas prefer still water. My betta was showing signs of fin rot, so I turned the filter off and his fin grew back quickly. Now, I've got a filter on there with less circulation.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back