Fin rot won't stop

AlonDycian

Reaction score
About a week and a half ago I noticed my Betta had some fin rot starting, and after some reading I started doing daily 90% water changes and adding salt, but nothing seems to work really and it's getting pretty bad - he's lost about a quarter of his fin's length and honestly I'm pretty freaked out.
Does anyone know of a more efficiant way to treat it or maybe something I might be doing wrong?

Last edited:
Is it fin rot, or is the betta chewing his own fins?

Did you cycle your tank before putting your beta in? I made the beginner's mistake of not cycling my tank before putting my beta in and he started to get fin rot. As for now, I would continue to keep doing the 90% water changes (especially if the tank isn't cycled). Fin rot is often caused by the quality of the water. I would recommend going to a pet/fish store to find some medicine specifically for fin rot. I believe most medicines won't cause the fins to grow back, but they will stop the fin rot from getting worse. Just make sure to carefully read the labels on the medicines to make sure you're getting something that will actually stop the fin rot. So to sum up this very long paragraph, make sure to cycle your tank if you haven't, continue doing daily water changes, and get some medicine for your fish that will stop the fin rot from proceeding. I hope this helps :)

Can we see a close up photo of the fish please?

Water Parameters
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate
Water temp.
Is the tank filtered.

How much salt are you adding?

Finrot is due to poor water conditions

I ran out of my chem tests (which is half the reason behind the water changes) but the tank is filtered and cycled. I keep it at around 75-78 degrees, and i'm adding about 1 tablespoon of salt (for a 6 gallon/25 litre tank). The problem started when i tried moving him into my 20 gallon with some cardinals, but the waterflow was to high and his fins tore a bit, so i put him back in the 10 gal qt tank. I think the stress from moving him twice plus the torn fin was what caused the fin rot rather than poor water conditions.
20170520_120248.jpg

Update - he has some white fuzz on the tips of his fins now, can't get a good picture of it though. Does anyone know how to treat it?

and i'm adding about 1 tablespoon of salt (for a 6 gallon/25 litre tank
Are you adding a full teaspoon at every waterchange? You should only be adding enough salt to treat the water you take out,

For example
Your tank is 25 liters and you add a teaspoon of salt initially, then, when you do a 50% water change you should only be adding a 1/2 a teaspoon.

Yeah I try to keep the water-salt ratio stable. I think I might go out and get some antibiotics today, anything specific I should look for?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back