Fin Rot That Won't Go Away.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

PrairieSunflower

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
For about two weeks now I've been battling fin rot.  He is a crown tail and the "ribbons" are gone and the rest of his tail looks thing or transparent.  There is still a good portion of his tail there but his top fin seems to be going.  I have been treating with Interpet Fungus and Fin Rot medication.

A previous beta I had once got fin rot and I did everything and it turned into body rot and he died.  At the time I had ordered a medication (fish antibiotics, the product is in German Ekobac Plus 250) and have never opened it.  I am wondering if there is something else I should be trying first other than water changes and the current meds or should I go for the big guns and use the antibiotics?  Using this one would require some tank changes as I'd want to preserve my cycled filter and the medicine would destroy it... so I'd have to swap filters to an uncycled one for the duration of the medication (gotta run the instructions past a German friend before using it since I can't read German!)

Thoughts?

Anyhow, further explanation.  The edges of his fins actually look ok other than the top fin is disappearing and the tail looks thin.  His behavior is actually fine and he is swimming around normally.  I have not struggled with any water parameters in quite some time.  He is in a 10 gallon tank, long time cycled and at 80c.

Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change?
What percentage of water did you change?
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water?
What additives do you use?

Finrot is almost always due to poor water and tank conditions.

Can you please add a photo, sometimes what appears to be finrot can be biting or something else.

NickAu said:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change?
What percentage of water did you change?
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water?
What additives do you use?

Finrot is almost always due to poor water and tank conditions.

Can you please add a photo, sometimes what appears to be finrot can be biting or something else.
Sorry, can't get a photo today will try tomorrow.

I change 50% of the water once a week, in the last 2 weeks I've changed 50% twice a week.  I vacuum the substrate.  Other than medication in this last two weeks I add the fluval Aqua Plus and EasyLife Profito for the plants.

I managed some quick pictures afterall.  I did with and without the flash as it shows what I am talking about better.  Those dark edges on his fins don't actually come out right.  To the naked eye that tissue actually looks solid and not black like it looks in my photos... which makes me unsure if it is actually regrowth. 

Image1_zpsti5ojfp7.jpg

That's him in my avatar so it shows the end strands he has lost on his fins.  He doesn't bite his fins.

Well, still battling the fin rot. His fins are quite short now. I think we are on our last ditch effort. Today I rescaped the tank entirely scrubbing all I can and completely changing the gravel in case there is something that bacteria is clinging to. At this point, it might be too late but I hope not.

Most reactions

trending

Back