Fin Nipping Female Guppy...advice Needed

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Deepatlantis

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I need some advice, one of my female guppies is due her first brood of fry some time next week. Today she started badly nipping the tail of my male guppy. She had been bullying him quite a lot, but when it turned to nipping I wasn't happy. I tried moving her into my smaller tank that has fry in it about 2 month old, but a couple of them started nipping at her fins, so I moved her back into her tank but into a breeding tank to isolate her.

I don't know what brought this on...could it just be pregnancy mood changes?? The tank is 60ltr and only has 4 platy and 5 guppies in total (one male guppy, the rest are female) and there are plenty of different hiding places in the tank (I read online that she could be trying to make sure she has room for her offspring). Has anyone else experienced this? Any advice would be welcome.

She seems happy to be in the breeding tank, which is unusual as usually my other guppies seem to hate it and I don't generally use it.

Came down this morning to find his fins nipped even more and he was hiding in the plants and didn't eat when I fed them. I've now moved him into the breeding tank and taken Lola the fin nipper out. I'm worried about him. The water parameters are normal (no ammonia or nitrites, low nitrates, pH 7.5). Is it because he's the only male that they've turned on him?

When a female of mine is due to give birth to fry i have noticed they get a little grumpy if others are invading her space. But my others are as placid as can be. 
She may seem happy in the breeding compartment as she is left alone and has her own space to be. But with the change of events with the others ganging up on your male it may be best to keep him away for a little bit so he can regain strength and to keep an eye on if he is eating etc. 

Unless there is something underlying then i would presume its just their characteristics like with mine as everything is fine in my tank. 

Thats all i can say that i know of unless anybody else can elaborate...

Hope you have some nice fry and that things with your male get better. 

:)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back