FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Cameronb_01

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I have just set up the filter in my Rio Juwel 400 and after just 17 hours my filter pad looked like the one you see below. How often do I need to change my filter pads? Is that normal after just 17 hours? How dirty should it be before I change it? It is that colour before I have even put any bacteria in the tanks is that normal? Please explain!!! :D :)

Attachments

• IMG_2475.jpg
    IMG_2475.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 173
It looks fine to me. You never want to change your filter media as it's what holds the majority of your bacteria. If you must change it out you should only change up to 1/3 at a time.
You can rinse it in old tank water but I wouldn't do that right now. Are you doing a fish-less cycle?

That looks like the white pad that sits on top of the other media in the Juwel filter. It is filter wool and is designed to trap particles to stop them getting into the sponges, cirax etc. If you wash it, it will fall apart after one or two washes. Since it is very thin and there is a lot of other media in the Juwel filter, just replace it when it looks disgusting. But don't buy Juwel pads, get a roll of filter wool and use a Juwel pad as template to cut the roll up. That will save a lot of money.

But if it is from anywhere else in the filter, as Ninj says it will hold a lot of bacteria so don't change it, wash it in water you take out of the tank at a water change.

Thanks, but how often should it start to look disgusting? Also where should I buy filter wool?

Many fish stores carry bags of filter wool, or there are sheets that can be cut to fit.  Not sure what may be available where you live.

As for cleaning/changing, the goal is to have all the water pass through the pad (and other media), but the flow must not be impeded too much.  Different tanks will require different maintenance because of the size and fish load and feedings.  I have canisters that are like this; on one tank every month is needed, while on another every 3 months.  As essjay said, if the pad loses shape to the point that water can get around it, you need to replace it (before that happens) because at that point it is not performing its role.

Byron.

Cameronb_01 said:
Thanks, but how often should it start to look disgusting? Also where should I buy filter wool?
oh trust me you'll know when it starts looking disgusting

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back