The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

plaskotki

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi there,
Just a quick questions for experts.
I have a Juwel Rio 180 tank with the original filter. Do you think it provides sufficient filtration?

I have at the mo:
3 swordtails
3 gouramis
1 sucking loach
1 Cory
1 young ancestres (pleco)
2 cherry barbs
3 danios
2 black neons
2 2spotted barbs
2 rams

I am planning to get another pleco and maybe 2 clown loaches.

I would really appreciate your opinion.

Hi. I think you might do better posting this in either the Tropical Chat or the Hardware forums. This forum is for peoples tank journals/diaries so you won't really get many replies I don't think.

I'm not too sure on the answer to your query, but I suspect you might be quite heavilly stocked as you are. I know plecos are really big waste producers. I have a Rio 180 also, but I got rid of the internal filter and replaced it with an external canister filter. Much better than the internal, and its made a nice big space :)

Thanks a lot! I will post it somewhere else. Was it difficult to get rid of the box? and how much is the external filter and which one would you recommend?

Thanks a lot! I will post it somewhere else. Was it difficult to get rid of the box? and how much is the external filter and which one would you recommend?

To be honest, my Rio 180 was second hand, and it had already been removed! But from reading other posts I believe its quite easy. You will need a sharp blade, preferably a stanley knife or razor blade (watch your fingers!) Gently slice the silicone that holds the filter in place. Eventually you should be able to remove the filter and tidy up any bits of silicone still on the glass.

Be careful of 3 things! You fingers! Scratching the glass, and also damaging the seals around the edges of the tank (shouldn't be a problem but just be aware).

As for external filters I have a Tetratec EX700 on my tank. Its suitable for tanks up to 250 litres so is sufficient for the job :) It cost me about £45 (with a discount) from seapets (german pet store). Other filters to consider are ones made by Eheim (very good quality) and Fluval (I think they are fine, others have had issues in the past with older models).

For a suitable filter, you're looking at spending around £40 - £70 depending on brand. Others may be able to tell you if this is necessary or if your current filter is up to the job. As I say, I'm not 100% sure about the load that your fish are putting on it at the moment so I can't say that you should definately upgrade :)

Thanks. It is very helpful. I have posted the topic again in Tropical chat.
How often do you change media in your filter?

Thanks. It is very helpful. I have posted the topic again in Tropical chat.
How often do you change media in your filter?

As its an external, I have a "fine" filter pad in there which filters fine particles. This should be replaced about every month, depending on how clogged up it is. Then there are the normal sponge filters that just need rinsing in tank water, again every month would be fine. Then there are some ceramic rings which do the biological filtering. These may need a quick dip in a bucket of tank water too, but never run them under a tap as you will kill off the beneficial bacteria and cause your tank to start cycling.

Basically, I don't replace anything but the fine filter pad.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back