Filter media

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

Guppylover3x

Fish Addict
Tank of the Month šŸ†
Reaction score
Iā€™ve had a Fluval U1 filter running in my tank for over 6 months now. I did a fish in cycle so Iā€™ve not replaced the media at all.

After visiting the Fluval website they recommend its better to change the media every few weeks.

Iā€™m wondering how this sounds to other members? Itā€™s left me quite confused, because this is where all the beneficial bacteria lives. Changing the media every few weeks would surely takes nitrates out of the water?

Any help would be appreciated, thank you!

They just want to sell more stuff. Just clean in tank water and use it again. My tanks get new media when it is literally falling apart. Like, every year, maybe.

replace your media only when absolutely necessary, i have had foam sponges in my HOB filters and cannister filters last 3-4 YEARS!....i have had air powered sponge filters last 20 years!!

every few weeks is rediculous, it will do more harm then good

also, never replace ALL of the media in your filter at one time, you will be removing ALL of the bacteria!!

i use two foam blocks in my HOB filters or cannister filters, i alternate replacement of them, never both at the same time

They just want to sell more stuff. Just clean in tank water and use it again. My tanks get new media when it is literally falling apart. Like, every year, maybe.
I see, that makes sense.

Thanks for the information!

After visiting the Fluval website they recommend its better to change the media every few weeks.
Give me $10 every 2 weeks. Thankyou for paying for my children's education. :)
It's a marketing ploy to get you to keep buying their products.

As others have said, you only replace the media when it literally starts to fall apart. The only exception to this is carbon (black granules) or ammonia adsorbing granules. Neither of which are needed in the average aquarium.

If you use sponges in the filter, they should last at least 10 years.

If you don't have sponges currently, you can buy sponges for different brands of filter. I use Aquaclear sponges. Then use a rubber band to hold the new sponge on the outside of the filter. Leave it there for a couple of months and it will cycle. Then you can remove the old filter pad and put the sponge in the filter, if you want to.

I agree! ( not that I have children, lol), on my filter cartridge box, it says, ā€œItā€™s best to replace product every 2-3 weeksā€

Yeah right......I have had this filter cartridge running for over 5 weeks, and itā€™s till fine. It looks dirty, but it has a lot of beneficial bacteriaā€™s in it. :)

Give me $10 every 2 weeks. Thankyou for paying for my children's education. :)
It's a marketing ploy to get you to keep buying their products.

As others have said, you only replace the media when it literally starts to fall apart. The only exception to this is carbon (black granules) or ammonia adsorbing granules. Neither of which are needed in the average aquarium.

If you use sponges in the filter, they should last at least 10 years.

If you don't have sponges currently, you can buy sponges for different brands of filter. I use Aquaclear sponges. Then use a rubber band to hold the new sponge on the outside of the filter. Leave it there for a couple of months and it will cycle. Then you can remove the old filter pad and put the sponge in the filter, if you want to.
Thanks Colin!

Most reactions

Back