Filter Floss

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's no way that the nitrifying bacteria multiplied enough for the nitrites to go from off the chart to 0 in 1 night. The only thing I added to my tank was used filter floss. I'm wondering if you are arguing that point for arguments sake. There seems to be a lot of success stories with floss.

That's a rather unfriendly attitude FF. And from your other thread where you detail the addition of the floss it seems to me that it was four or five days after the addition that the nitrites fell to zero. In a tank that's already cycling that's no proof I'm afraid.

I usually seed my smaller internal filters that i use in fry tanks with floss. Never had any issues what so ever.

I usually seed my smaller internal filters that i use in fry tanks with floss. Never had any issues what so ever.
I see my tanks for fishless cycles and I clone tanks with media from my other tanks. Being is that sponges and filter pads and what not have just the same aeration as floss (at least the piece of floss i recieved had plenty of aeration) i dont see why its frowned on. The only food source that bacteria get is the ammonia from the waste. There is nothing in the sponges to provide for bacteria.

Please don't ruin this thread by arguing and falling out. The mods won't think twice about closing it if it gets out of hand.

Alot of people have success with seeding/cloning filters by using floss, and it works. For a new member that is new to the hobby then ANY cycled media will be of benefit. If they are willing to cover costs of the postage then certain members are willing to help them out by sending them some floss. Ok, fair enough, sponges, ceramic rings, pads etc may be better, but floss is something that is designed to be renewed, so when renewing it why not help out some one else by sending it to them? Some members can't afford to give away a whole sponge from their filter as they would have to buy a ew one to replace it.

if you don't agree with it then please don't post. For people who are interested in some cycled media then why not ask for some next time some is available?

Personally i agree, filter floss doesnt have the capability to hold as much bacteria, its surface area is no where as near large or complex, but in sufficient quantities, it holds enough bacteria to have an effect. Fact. I "seeded" my 80ltr back to life from the floss from the external on the 340. I know it works, and it costs pence.

Im pretty gutted to see such a petty argument of definition going off on a thread designed to make mature media more readily available to those that want to do things "properly"

Nice way to introduce the forum to the newbies.....

:no:

Just to add to the actual discussion, when I first started my 20 gallon, my uncles gave me some floss, the tank was cycled with in 2 days.

Im pretty gutted to see such a petty argument of definition going off on a thread designed to make mature media more readily available to those that want to do things "properly"

So am I and I apologise to minnt and the others donating floss for being involved in that.

But surely you agree a discussion about the effectiveness of filter floss as a seeding medium is appropriate on a board called 'Tropical discussion'?

Just to add to the actual discussion, when I first started my 20 gallon, my uncles gave me some floss, the tank was cycled with in 2 days.

How much floss and what was the initial stocking level?

Well it was empty at first of course, added the floss (a good handful), after it cycled I added a DG, 6 Danios.

Well it was empty at first of course, added the floss (a good handful), after it cycled I added a DG, 6 Danios.

Sorry, what's a DG?

And did you monitor the water parameters after the two days and for how long? Were there any spikes?

Was the floss the only media and if not was the other media all new? Any gravel from another tank used?

Sorry, what's a DG?

And did you monitor the water parameters after the two days and for how long? Were there any spikes?

Was the floss the only media and if not was the other media all new? Any gravel from another tank used?

Dwarf gourami.

Yes I monitored it for about a month and it was stable, no spikes at all.
All of the other media was new, it was a brand new filter, brand new gravel, brand new everything.

Closed for repairs. :sad: I'll reopen this once a few edits are made, thanks for understanding!

locked again, for good. Well done peeps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back