Filter baffling

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Stacey1990

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi, I was looking for some advice and ideas.
So I bought my first betta about 2 weeks ago. I feel like the filter in the tank is too strong for him so I have been looking for ideas on how to baffle it. It is just a basic internal sponge filter which came with the tank.
So far I have had tights tied around the output, tried putting a decoration in front, and now i am on to filter sponge around the outlet.
This sponge seems to work great for the current but I'm worried that there is not enough flow in the tank now. The water seems to be basically not moving much at all. Will this negatively affect the fish or tank?

Photo of the exact filter? It may give some better ideas how to baffle it

So this is a pic of my fikter with the sponge attached.

Attachments

• 20200602_195434.jpg
    20200602_195434.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 78
  • 20200602_195442.jpg
    20200602_195442.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 69
So this is a pic of my fikter with the sponge attached.
One of the main purposes of the "outlet" of a filter is to provide flow and surface agitation, which helps to introduce oxygen into the water. If, by covering the filter outlet, you have decreased the flow to the point that there is little surface agitation, then this could be a problem, as there may be very little oxygen being introduced into the water. Do you have an air stone in the tank, or just the filter?

I just have a filter at the moment. Is an air stone a good idea?

Would an air stone not just create more current, which I'm trying to reduce?

Often times, if the filter outlet produces sufficient surface agitation, then an air stone is usually not needed (but it never hurts). I guess my question would be... Why are you trying to "baffle" the filter outlet? Was it creating a current that was too much for your betta? And how could you tell? Was the betta being pushed around by the current? I know that betta do not like high currents, as they are labyrinth fish and like to come to the surface to "gulp" air. So, they do prefer calmer waters, but if the filter is providing surface agitation and there is still an area of the tank with less current and calmer waters, then the betta should be able to utilize that area of the tank to "breath air". I guess what I am trying to say, in a nutshell, is if the outlet of your filter isn't so powerful that your betta can't go to the surface anywhere in the tank, then you might not have to "baffle" it at all and be able to benefit from the surface agitation that the filter outlet creates. But if it is so powerful that your betta is being pushed around and cant reach the surface, then by all means "baffle" your filter outlet and possibly consider adding an air stone to make sure there is enough surface agitation from the bubbles to ensure there is plenty of oxygen in the tank.

A betta alone does not need surface agitation. Theyre air breathers and deal with lack of oxygen in the water. They evolved that way.

Is it possible to raise the outlet so its just touching the top of the surface?

Would an air stone not just create more current, which I'm trying to reduce?
It is possible that an air stone might produce a more gentle current then the filter outlet. It is not possible to tell from a picture, how much current is actually being produced by the filter outlet, so it is hard to say. The picture is also of the filter after "baffling" it with a sponge, correct? Do you have a picture of the filter outlet and the current PRIOR to adding the sponge so we can see how strong the current was that it was creating?

A betta alone does not need surface agitation. Theyre air breathers and deal with lack of oxygen in the water. They evolved that way.

Is it possible to raise the outlet so its just touching the top of the surface?
This is true. Betta are "air breathers" and can deal with low oxygen levels, as they did evolve this way (with this as an adaptation), however, I would imagine that having some surface agitation would still be beneficial to the betta and the overall "health" o the tank, would it not? I would imagine that having some water flow would help to circulate the water throughout the tank, and allow for improved biological filtration?

I dont have a before picture at the moment. To me, it seemed he was getting pushed around a bit, but not so much that he couldn't go to the surface. I suppose I just wanted him to be able to use every part of the tank.
The filter is as high as I can get it because of the suction cups.
I'm struggling to find the balance between reducing the current and having enough flow in the tank. I dont want dead spots so that water from certain areas of the tank wont be filtered (if that makes sense lol).

This is true. Betta are "air breathers" and can deal with low oxygen levels, as they did evolve this way (with this as an adaptation), however, I would imagine that having some surface agitation would still be beneficial to the betta and the overall "health" o the tank, would it not? I would imagine that having some water flow would help to circulate the water throughout the tank, and allow for improved biological filtration?
That is exactly what I was trying to say about circulating the water

Most reactions

trending

Back