Feeding Problems

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

corylover

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hi, i have a tank with 2 african dwarf frogs and 2 guppies and 2 mollies ( im taking the guppies back tomorrow though) , i know that you shouldnt keep them with other fish but when ever i feed the frogs the guppies and mollys eat all the food i give them, no matter what it is. What should i do? Im getting rid of the guppies for this reason and they are always biting the frogs, they also fight alot bcus there both males :/ and the mollys leave the frogs alone but still eat some if the food. Help?

What tank size?
ADFS are hard to feed, especially with other fish, maybe get rid of the frogs?

Guppies are greedy little things so gettign rid of them will increase the ammount of food left for the frogs. If you can get their food directly to the bottom of the tank it should be easier for them to get at it, as the mollies won't find it as fast.

I was thinking about getting rid of the mollies to but one is pregnant, would the frogs eat the fry? And should i let them? I dont realy want anymore mollys

My molly is pregnant too :/ so i think im gona get rid of mine aswell :c

reecear2 said:
I was thinking about getting rid of the mollies to but one is pregnant, would the frogs eat the fry? And should i let them? I dont realy want anymore mollys
Yea the frogs love eating fry, mollies will breed at speed, if you dont want alot of mollies, then she if you can rehome them.

I had an ADF with a betta and the ADF never got to eat anything. I tried feeding the betta while feeding the ADF (to distract the betta), giving food the the ADF directly with a baster, putting extra food in so there would be something left over for the ADF. None of it worked! The betta gobbled everything up before the ADF even made an attempt. I didn't want to have to catch and feed the ADF by hand (as others suggested in a frog forum) or trap the betta when feeding the ADF - just seems like unnecessary stress for all involved.

I now have 2 ADFs in their own 5 gal. One takes a few minutes to go for the food when I put it in, the other takes over 5 minutes just to approach the food plate I have for them. (I have a little food plate that I put their food in with a turkey baster so that I know how much they are actually consuming and can easily suck up any remaining food).

May-be your ADF will eat the fry and that will be good enough, but personally, I would just put it in an aquarium without fish - possibly with another ADF (or more depnding on tank size). Now that I have 2 ADFs, they sometimes "sing" at night - pretty cool :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back