Can African Dwarf Frogs Eat Spiders?

doggyfrog

Reaction score
I just noticed a small spider just above the water line in my 40 gal tank with African dwarf frogs in it. If the frogs can eat spiders, I am interested in feeding it to them. If not, I'll just collect the spider and put it outside. :)

So does anyone know if its safe for them or if they would even be interested?

I just noticed a small spider just above the water line in my 40 gal tank with African dwarf frogs in it. If the frogs can eat spiders, I am interested in feeding it to them. If not, I'll just collect the spider and put it outside. :)

So does anyone know if its safe for them or if they would even be interested?

I don't see why not!

Think you'd probably have to catch the spider yourself and target feed them with tongs. Their eyesight is pretty rubbish, but if you're wriggling it in front of them, I imagine they'd be interested.

I feed insects to my fish all the time, and @AbbeysDad has some great articles I read before about collecting "free fish food". They'd be eating things like that in the wild anyway.

However, I've never kept frogs and don't know much about their care. @Essjay has kept them before, I'm sure she can help. :)

I have to confess I've never even thought about feeding spiders to frogs - or fish. Sorry, I can't really help with that.

I have to confess I've never even thought about feeding spiders to frogs - or fish. Sorry, I can't really help with that.

I'm both fascinated by and pretty phobic about spiders, so I haven't either! :lol:

But it's fine to collect and feed mosquito larvae and a multitude of other insects, I'm sure frogs would/will/do eat spiders in the wild if they could catch one.

So long as it's not a black widow or a brown recluse... Maybe don't mess with those guys.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back