The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Sp00ky

Moved On
Reaction score
Hi,

My first question so here goes LOL

I have a 67 gallon tank. In it i have swordtails, mollies, plattys, black and neon tetras, zebras, guppies, bronze corys and a red crab.

i have noticed alot of you speaking about feeding your fish peas and cucumber and other vegatables. i was wondering what fish like what and how you actually feed them this. do you just slice the cucumber up and then put it in the tank. also as for peas and such like, are they to be frozen or fresh or canned??

thanks for any advice.

Sp00ks

I use frozen peas and fresh cucumber and zucchini.

Don't used canned, it can contain salt and other preservatives. They are also usually fully cooked.

I shell the peas and drop 2 or 3 in. Cucumber and Zucchini can be blanched (cooked quickly for 30 seconds to a minute in boiling water) or raw.

[edited for spelling]

We have 5 plecs so we go through a lot of cucumber. We spear it in sections on a dinner knife like a fruit kebab and drop one in each tank. Regarding peas, I shell a few nuked frozen ones and put a few halves in each tank, the plecs will eat them when they eventually barbel them and discover them, but the Koi & giant Goldies suck them out of your hand while you're adding them.

My bleeding heart tetras used to swim on their sides and I told "the fish person" at Petco and she said it was from too much gas. She said to cure it chop up some peas. So I did, however, all the other tetras ate it and not them. Well after a few days the finally noticed, ate them, and were cured. :)

so its frozen peas, defrosted and chopped up a little and there good for tetras... and a little cooked cucumber for 30 secs to a min chooped and thrown in.

cool, will try that 2morrow.
thanks guys and gals :)

i feed my fish plain oatmeal sometimes. they seem to like it more than frozen brine shrimp and bloodworms. if you decide to do this, just make sure you dont add too much water because this will make it cloud your tank. i use a little tiny bit less than what the instructions say.

I normally feed the fish a single frozen pea, boiled for 1 to 2 minutes and chopped up very small (the fleshy part only).

Nearly all of the fish love them and fight over them...

It's easy to do, if you remember just to take 1 pea out of your dinner for the fishies :)

The other thing that's quite cool is in the summer catching midges, small flies and mozies that enter the house with a net and putting them on the top of the water... a real treat.... especially for hatchets.... but most fish will enjoy them...

Most reactions

trending

Back