Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Feeding female betta in community tank

Discussion in 'New to the Hobby Questions and Answers' started by Susan Anvin, Jun 19, 2019.

  1. Susan Anvin

    Susan Anvin New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 13, 2019
    Messages:
    8
    Likes Received:
    0
    At the suggestion of my local pet store I introduced a female betta to my community tank with a platy, swordtail, Molly, cory, african frog and snail. I had been feeding tropical fish food, plus a cory wafer and a small bit of algae wafer for the bottom dwellers. I'm wondering how to nest keep everyone fed and am mildly frustrated with myself for once again listening to pet stores as falling in love with pretty fish (she's a purple crown tail betta girl!)

    I've read that betta food isn't good as the only food for the other tropical fish who need veggies in their diet. I've also read that bettas fed only on tropical fish food can get bloat issues from all the plant fiber in tropical fish food. And naturally in a community tank I can't control who eats what. Petco in their infinite wisdom said just feed them all tropical food.

    Does anyone else keep female bettas in a community tank? What do you feed?
     

    Attached Files:

  2. Eden's-Aquaria

    Eden's-Aquaria New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2019
    Messages:
    44
    Likes Received:
    5
    I feed some good pellets. Such as omega one betta pellets or new life spectrum. Get it off of amazon. If you only have on of each community fish in there, then that isn't good. They don't have protection as a shoal or school. Corys need to be in a group of three at least. the African frog might be attacked. Just a tip...NEVER EVER LISTEN TO PETCO PETSMART OR CHAIN PETSTORES. They don't know anything..
     
  3. Susan Anvin

    Susan Anvin New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 13, 2019
    Messages:
    8
    Likes Received:
    0
    The cory seems fine I his own but I'll definitely consider more, cleanup crew is always good. The Molly, platy and swordtail all act like a school, and I've seen that work well before. The female betta looks line she also needs a friend.

    I still don't think I understand your feeding answer. I know about betta foods, have good betta pellets for my boy living in his own tank. But I'm trying to figure out how to feed the betta girl in the community tank. Pet store says they feed their betta females on display in community tanks tropical food and they do fine. I'm skeptical. I don't want to just feed betta food in there either cuz that's not good for the other tropical fish. Are you suggesting I feed some of both foods (tropical and betta pellets) and just hope for the best?
     
  4. Eden's-Aquaria

    Eden's-Aquaria New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2019
    Messages:
    44
    Likes Received:
    5
    What I am trying to say is, feed her the pellets, and feed others tropical food. Don't give her flakes. They cause digestion problems. How big is your tank? It might be overstocked if you add more fish... Is the African frog fine? Is it an African Dwarf Frog or African Clawed Frog? Clawed frogs will grow way too big
     
  5. Susan Anvin

    Susan Anvin New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 13, 2019
    Messages:
    8
    Likes Received:
    0
    He's a dwarf frog and he's doing fine. No one pays any attention to him and I drop the bottom feeder food right to him so he gets to grab some first.

    I think my tank is already pushing overstocked at 10g. I do weekly siphon and replace of 20-25% of the water and my nitrate levels are ok but not great before the refresh. Since the cory isn't acting any different from the ones in the store I think it's the best compromise to leave well enough alone.

    HOW exactly do you manage to get 2 different foods to fish in a community tank? The tropical trio act like they're starving even if I over feed, how would I keep them from scarfing her pellets or keep her from theirs?
     
  6. essjay

    essjay Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Global Moderator

    Joined:
    Nov 28, 2006
    Messages:
    3,827
    Likes Received:
    283
    Location:
    UK
    I'm afraid you do have some stocking problems. 10 gallons is a small tank is not big enough for swordtails or mollies - swordtails and mollies need a tank at least 90 cm (36 inches) long, while platies need a tank 60 cm (24 inches) long. They also need hard water while the other fish need soft water.
    And cories need to be kept in a group of at least 6, preferably of the same species.
    10 gallons is fine for the betta.

    Can you find out how hard your tap water is? Your water provider's website should have that information. You need a number and the unit.



    You need to rehome the molly, platy and swordtail regardless of the hardness because the tank is too small for them. Or buy a bigger tank.
    The frog should also be separated from the fish. If you ever need to treat sick fish, the medications will kill the frog. But frogs are better kept in a frog-only tank.

    If you have soft water, the female betta is fine in 10 gallons. And depending on the species, the cory - with more of them - could be OK. The larger species of cory need a bigger tank but the dwarf cory species are OK, though these do need to be in a bigger shoal of at least 10.

    Once you sort the stocking problems, feeding will be much easier. Sinking pellets for the cories and betta pellets for the betta.
     
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Susan Anvin

    Susan Anvin New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 13, 2019
    Messages:
    8
    Likes Received:
    0
    Wow that's a bit extreme... Counter to everything I've ever read anywhere too, And to my own previous successful experience. So like... Spare me the "even beginner fish belong in ocean sized tanks" extremism. It's not helpful and basically is going to have me trust petco over you. Cuz what they say 1) had worked very well so far and 2) allows me to have fish at all, which your unsolicited critique does not.

    Can you offer any suggestions on how to feed different fish in the same tank different foods or do you just like to scare newbies out of the hobby? Not helpful in the slightest
     
  8. Eden's-Aquaria

    Eden's-Aquaria New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2019
    Messages:
    44
    Likes Received:
    5
    Ok Susan..so in the wild, fish don't always get food everyday and when they want, correct? So that means, your betta will still be okay. That leaves us a 60% chance she still will get food, and 40% that she won't get food. This also helps with bloating and other problems. Just a suggestion on your fish tank, try to do 30% water changes twice a week or every 3 days. That should help with parameters
     
  9. Eden's-Aquaria

    Eden's-Aquaria New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2019
    Messages:
    44
    Likes Received:
    5
    Essjay, do note that Susan is still a beginner. All those will discourage her and give her many more problems to be concerned about. We want to be a nice, encouraging community to welcome more hobbyists right? So lets take a step back to put a step forwards, agreed?
     
  10. aquarium3

    aquarium3 New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 18, 2018
    Messages:
    56
    Likes Received:
    8
    I keep a betta in my community tank which also has adfs and feed frozen blood worms and flake food but I never had a problem with my betta over eating and getting bloated. Has you betta gotten bloated before or are you concerned he will get bloated?
     
  11. Eden's-Aquaria

    Eden's-Aquaria New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2019
    Messages:
    44
    Likes Received:
    5
    My betta fish got bloated and constipated just because he ate flakes for a long time. I was too busy to go get pellets. That for six months, and it led to an anal prolapse. Luckily, he was able to pull through, but other people's might not be able to. You cant soak flakes either, so that doesn't help
     
  12. aquarium3

    aquarium3 New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 18, 2018
    Messages:
    56
    Likes Received:
    8
    Wait so pellets are better than flakes?
     
  13. Eden's-Aquaria

    Eden's-Aquaria New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2019
    Messages:
    44
    Likes Received:
    5
    Yes, long term, pellets succeed over flakes.
    But, make sure that you soak your pellets for at least 8-10 minutes beforehand so you when you feed them, they don't expand inside your betta and cause bloat and digestion problems also.
     
  14. aquarium3

    aquarium3 New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 18, 2018
    Messages:
    56
    Likes Received:
    8
    Ahh I see you still have to soak the pellets, I only feed mine blood worms and flakes.
     
  15. Eden's-Aquaria

    Eden's-Aquaria New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2019
    Messages:
    44
    Likes Received:
    5
    Remember, his stomach from the top view needs to be flat or just a bit plump. Freeze-dried foods suck for bettas, too airy and dry. Will expand in their stomach's. That doesn't accommodate for their natural needs does it?
     

Share This Page