Feeding female betta in community tank

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

I have to agree with @essjay on this one. I donā€™t think she meant any harm. Our aim is to keep our fish as happy as they can be. After all, thatā€™s why we get them right?

Unfortunately, weā€™ve all been a victim of bad pet store advice at some point. Is there any chance you could maybe re-home some of your fish?

Keeping soft water species and hard water species together never ends well. One always ends up suffering. This is another thing that pet stores never talk to their customers about.

I didnā€™t know any of this either when I first joined the forum.

Thereā€™s plenty of options you have with a 10 gallon. I am confident you can make it work.

We are all here to help each other. I hope you enjoy it with us.

Best of luck!

Let's just beat you up some more :) Sounds like you went to the pet store and bought just one of everything you liked and they were happy to sell it to you. Did they ever mention how big they each get or how aggressive they can become as they get older? Anyway, I think in general you picked a nice peaceful bunch - if some will school with each other how very cool! How many total fish do you have and how big do they get. There is always the 1 gallon per inch of fish rule which is why some betta's need 3-5 gallons. You also have to factor in the mass of the fish - the fatter/wider once that are 3 inches long may take twice the tank space that a skinny fish wood. Some more active fish also take more room than the more sedate passive fish the live in the foliage. My Zebra danios are very tiny but swim at 90 miles an hour (so it looks) and need plenty of place to school I'm about ready to get them their own small tank so the other fish in their current tank cancel the contracts on their lives that they had for the Zebra's that clearly drive laid back fish nuts. Pellets take longer to eat. Most of the fish you have won't even go after them and won't be able to eat them, so feed those first. The catfish and the betta should go after those quite quickly - the rest of the fish will ignore them so then go ahead and feed some flakes, maybe some micro pellets and some dried bloodworms (ideally soaked in some vitamins). No doubt the betta will want to try anything - no big deal they aren't fast enough to eat at the pace your other fish do. I think other than getting misled by store you did a semi-OK job of picking fish out - just remember there is an art to picking and mixing fish. Research each fish individually and make sure you'll be able to meet each fishes needs before buying them. And the 1 inches of fish per gallon is as good as any guideline to go by - just adjust for total mass and activity level; If you got everything right the first time you wouldn't learn anything.

I have my betta trained to go to one spot at the top left of my 10 gallon when I wave the container of betta pellets. I turn off my hob filter before feeding . Using a tiny spoon I slowly drop 4 betta pellets and they rest on the top of the water till the Betta eats them. Then I turn the hob filter back on. I feed him usually twice a day. The other fish in my community tank (5 harlequin rasbotras and 1 neon tetra) eat flakes or other food that I put in the tank just for them. The pellets I use are Northfin Betta Bits which has high protein content especially for bettas. They sell them on Amazon. Works for my tank.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back