Feeding Carniverous Plecs

MattL

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi,

Im gonna be gettin myself a zebra plec very soon. It is going in a community tank with a few other greedy fish!!

How do i make sure his food gets to the bottom, caus im sure you all know he is carniverous! Also are there any types of food which make feeding him easier and more consistent, i imagine this being a problem!

Matt

:p :p :p

A very beautiful species!

As you probably already know, they don't compete very well for food so probably the most important thing to make sure of is that you don't put them in with aggressive fish that eat the food too quickly.

You can try some bloodworms, brine shrimp or pellets that sink.

ahh i didnt know you could get pellets, will have to keep my eyes peeled.

I could place the bloodworm on the bottom, but im sure as soon as my hand goes in, he would be as far away from me as possible.

Thanks for the info.

Matt

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

having kept the chocolate zebra, I kpet them in a tank with fish that i have no problems feeding. I fyou have wuite a few fish in you tank that will out compete the Zebra, then i would advise not putting them in there, You can buy carnivious pellets, also any frozen foods, and live foods you can try. They need a good clean tank, with an excellent filtration and the correct temp. They can be a little shy when you first introduce them to the tank. They can also be a bit difficult to look after. So i would think very careful about slpashing out hard earned cash on a Plec that can cost 50-80£ or 80-150$ which ever is it. They are not a beginners fish, they need a bit more care than some people can give. Please make sure you can cater all their needs before making a decision.
Zebra info scoll down!

Thanks for the info, much appreciated!

Im confident that I can succesfully keep my zebra happy. Though i am kinda new, i do put alot of effort and thought into the fish. My tank looks gorgeous now and the water is perfect!

He had better not hide too much!

Thanks

Matt
:rolleyes: :p

Good foods for meat eating plecs are cockles and mussels (available form the frozen section in a LFS ) ,normal community type fish should leave them alone and yor plec will love them. Just remember to remove them in the morning if they havnt been eaten.

Hmm, will have to keep my eyes peeled for them next time im in there (everyother day nearly. lol)

Thanks for the tip :)

Matt

:)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back