Favourite rift lake cichlid and why?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

AmyKieran

Fish Herder
Reaction score
As the title says, favourite rift lake cichlid and why, include pictures too :)

Cyprichromis leptosoma and Paracyprichromis nigripinnis because they are peaceful and live in groups.

Ophthalmotilapia ventralis and furcifer for peaceful nature, body shape, fins and colour.

Goby cichlids due to their shape and behaviour.
Eretmodus cyanostictus
Spathodus erythrodon
Spathodus marlieri
Tanganicodus irsacae

Cyprichromis leptosoma and Paracyprichromis nigripinnis because they are peaceful and live in groups.

Ophthalmotilapia ventralis and furcifer for peaceful nature, body shape, fins and colour.

Goby cichlids due to their shape and behaviour.
Eretmodus cyanostictus
Spathodus erythrodon
Spathodus marlieri
Tanganicodus irsacae
Yellow labs, I’m obsessed with them. Beautiful and not as nasty as other mbuna.
She said INCLUDE PICTURES!!! 😅

Yeah doesn’t have to be your fish just any pictures. Also I’m a ‘he’ lol Amy is my wife, username just to confuse lol

Last edited:
Yellows, always. These are fry being kept with a limestone substrate and rainwater as their water source supply.
20201125_180301.jpg

It's hard to say any one for sure, but I have always loved Neolamprologus Brichardi - beautiful color, fins and their nuclear family structure where batches of fry care for the next batch etc.

1654029959537.png

I'm well into my Tanganyikans at the moment :)

Ophthalmotilapia Boops Nkondwe 'neon streak'
1654516501270.png

Yellow Moshi
1654516560840.png

Tropheus sp Phoenix - really like the Kasakalawe in here too

These are going to be beyond me for a while but on the small side I'm a big fan of

Sumbu Compressiceps
1654516692137.png

Neolamprologus Ocellatus Gold
1654516768345.png

Wills

I'm well into my Tanganyikans at the moment :)

Ophthalmotilapia Boops Nkondwe 'neon streak'
View attachment 160896

Yellow Moshi
View attachment 160897

Tropheus sp Phoenix - really like the Kasakalawe in here too

These are going to be beyond me for a while but on the small side I'm a big fan of

Sumbu Compressiceps
View attachment 160898

Neolamprologus Ocellatus Gold
View attachment 160899

Wills

Wow! Tanganyikans are very different haha they look awesome. I have a frontosa in my rift lake tank and he’s my favourite :)

Wow! Tanganyikans are very different haha they look awesome. I have a frontosa in my rift lake tank and he’s my favourite :)
Could definitely do a Peacock or Mbuna tank too at some point just need the right stars to align lol. I think Americans are likely to be what I really want but I am being swayed for the first time in about 10 years.

Wills

Most reactions

Back