Favorite Painter?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

onemisterchristian

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Who's your favorite painter.
Piet mondrian for me...but not his crappy shapes stuff that he's famous, or infamous, for. He's got some much better impressionist work.

Degas, definitely. I adore his paintings AND sketches of ballet dancers. I even have a book documenting his work with ballet. His are paintings I'd hang on my walls.

However, I also love the work of Magritte. I probably wouldn't decorate my home with works by him, but I could stare at them for hours. The imagery is so interesting, his use of everyday objects or scenes, then working them in a whole new way.......

Those are drasticly different artists MAM. Usually someone doesn't like both of them. Magritte's stuff with the people with the hoods really creeps me out. But It's amazing nonetheless!

That's them! Cool as!!

Pavement paintings are cool as well, like this one...

seal.jpg

or this one...

swimmer.jpg

Magritte's stuff with the people with the hoods really creeps me out. But It's amazing nonetheless!

Just as a point of interest when Magritte was a young boy his mother drown herself in the lake at the bottom of their garden, when her body was brought to the house a white sheet had been placed over her face. This seemed to have a profound effect on the young child as he used the image in many of his paintings.

In my opinion its his way of releasing the hurt and uncertancy of not being able to say goodbye to his mother and feeling deprived of a feeling.

Salvador Dali for me too :nod:

Galatea of the Spheres is my favourite, I have a pencil drawing of it in a book and it is fantastic, better than the finished painting in my opinion, but I can;t get a print of it anywhere.

publications.jpg

Arfie

That's them! Cool as!!

Pavement paintings are cool as well, like this one...

seal.jpg

or this one...

swimmer.jpg

Yes! Have you seen that guys work where he "digs up" a high street? It's incredible. I cant even begin to fathom how hard it must be to draw those. They cross the line perfectly between maths and art and create images that blow me away!

My favourite artist is probably Escher to some extent as he did some work that was quite similar in that respect.

I do like "Guernica" by picasso though. It's one of those paintings I just "like"and don't know why.

http://terresdefemmes.blogs.com/photos/unc...ed/guernica.jpg

:D

i like obscure painters (or graphic artists) that have yet to make a name for themselves. i like Tado, because they are weird and wacky (and currently one of their posters can be seen adorning the wall of the tv show The IT Crowd), they usually work in graphics, but have been known to pic up a paintbrush. i love Tara McPherson too, i have 2 of her prints (one official, signed & numbered, the other not, for Dismemberment Plan and Beck)

i love these guys:
http://mooncalfe.deviantart.com/ - comic work, excellent characters, works in ink, paint, eyeshadow...
http://kolaboy.deviantart.com/gallery/ - a painter, you'd think he was faking the paintings they look so real, then you see how weird the people are and what they are doing, it's like woah!

of all the old favourites, i have a soft spot for Edward Hopper, i like the warm bleakness of his paintings. they way they look so real.

i don't really like to harp on about old masters, i wouldn't ever be to afford an edward hopper painting. but with urban graphic artists, or artists on devart, those are within reach!

Van Gogh stands above others for me, I guess its a matter of discovering someoine who sees the world in a similar way to you. After reading Van Goghs letters you cant help being awed by his passion for his art and his subjects.

Oooh...SirM...it's an immobious strip!

I love those things! I can be amused for hours just tracnig the lines with my finger...

Painter...hmm...I love Stubbs' work but I'm not sure he's my favourite...

I'd much rather have a good photo any day! :D

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back