What's new

Favorite Aquarium Books

fishperson100

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey all!

I’m thinking about purchasing some aquarium books to have on hand (and because they are fun to read :)). Do you guys have any suggestions?

Back in the fold

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Well, the very old book Exotic Aquarium Fishes by Dr. William T. Innes was once the Bible of the aquarium hobby. Today it is still a must for every aquarists library as a history of this great hobby. It explains the basics of fish care that have not changed since Dr. Innes' day. Some information is very outdated however. It has a section on the most popular fish in the hobby and the basic needs of each. I think everyone should have a library of fish books. Today there is so much information on the internet that it is staggering. Books get out of date quickly sometimes but in most books there is all those little obscure bits of information that other sources gloss over. And then there is the old time joy of reading that the backlit screen can't duplicate. I like books.

Fishmanic

Staff member
Global Moderator
Tank of the Month!
Reaction score
If I were you I would buy any books you are interested in used via ebay. The book I posted is selling for less than $5 shipped.

Colin_T

Reaction score
Go to the local library and borrow some. It's a lot cheaper and you can read the books and if you really like them, then buy that book from a shop or online.

If you really want to buy a book, get "Baensch Aquarium Atlas" (Vol. 1). It covers water chemistry, filters, diseases, plants, and has lots of common freshwater fishes in. The other volumes are primarily fish and don't have the water chemistry, diseases and other good bits in.
https://www.amazon.com.au/Baensch-Aquarium-Atlas-Vol-6th/dp/1890087122

OP
fishperson100

fishperson100

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Thank you guys! Fishmaniac, I have actually read that book :) Colin_T, I have read nearly all of the books from my library concerning fishkeeping.

Deanasue

Staff member
Global Moderator
Tank of the Month!
Reaction score
Go to the local library and borrow some. It's a lot cheaper and you can read the books and if you really like them, then buy that book from a shop or online.

If you really want to buy a book, get "Baensch Aquarium Atlas" (Vol. 1). It covers water chemistry, filters, diseases, plants, and has lots of common freshwater fishes in. The other volumes are primarily fish and don't have the water chemistry, diseases and other good bits in.
https://www.amazon.com.au/Baensch-Aquarium-Atlas-Vol-6th/dp/1890087122
Thanks for the tip. Just bought it on EBay for $6.86 with free shipping!

WinterSoldier.

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I like the Ecology of a Planted Aquarium by Diana walstad
Also "The Betta" and Fish tanks for dummies

Lilyann

Fish Fanatic
Tank of the Month!
Fish of the Month!
Tank of the Year!
Reaction score
For the beginner: For an all-around guide to basic water chemistry and cycling, aquarium husbandry, and livestock care:
The Manual of Fish Health by Dr. Andrews

For a more in-depth and updated guide to fish disease and health:
Fish Disease: Diagnosis and Treatment by Edward J. Noga

For an excellent set of diagnostic charts for identifying illness in fish:
Handbook of Fish Diseases by Dieter Untergasser

For identification of fishes:
Aquarium Atlas by Hans A. Baensch

And, because I am also interested in Aquarium design and plants and you may also beA:

For a basic introductory guide to plant identification/selection, water chemistry requirements, fertilizing, Co2 et al...
Sunken Gardens by Karen A. Randall

Pure inspiration in aquarium design:
Nature Aquarium World by Takashi Amano

An indepth guide to all things aquatic plants; with colored pictures of aquarium plants, descriptions, native conditions and requirements in aquarium:
Aquarium Plants by Christel Kasselman

Then, once you are proficient in this- go to the following. It is not a starting point- but, an end-point; when you are proficient in the above.
Planted Aquarium by Diana Walstadt