Failed to cycle- now doing fish in

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

VioletThePurple

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
My tank has failed to cycle after adding an ammonia source daily, nitrates, nitrites, and ammonia all stayed at 0. I've done it for two months now with no results, so I decided I'm going to do a fish in cycle. I did a water change. My fish should be fine as long as I add Prime in every day. But I have a couple questions. Why does the Prime smell so bad? Does that mean it's not good or is that how it's supposed to be? Also how do I reattach a betta hammock? The suction cup no longer sticks so it keeps falling off the side. Let me know anything else I need to about fish-in cycling.

What was your ammonia source? Are your test kits new or at least not very old? You should have ammonia generated within a couple days. Pure ammonia is also an option If you can get it.

Prime has a bit of a strange smell but shouldn’t smell rotten. It’s been a while since I used it so I can’t recall exactly what it smelled like but I remember it does smell funny.

‘What is the pH of your water? The reason I ask is that a higher ph will make the ammonia/nitrites more toxic to fish. If it’s a lower ph it will be easier with a fish in cycle. The best thing is to start with very, very low stocking levels.

Additionally, we need to know if you have live plants? This could explain the "cycle" issue, and nothing to worry about, depending upon plants [I'm thinking you have plants, but which ones if this is correct?]

My tank has failed to cycle after adding an ammonia source daily, nitrates, nitrites, and ammonia all stayed at 0. I've done it for two months now with no results, so I decided I'm going to do a fish in cycle. I did a water change. My fish should be fine as long as I add Prime in every day. But I have a couple questions. Why does the Prime smell so bad? Does that mean it's not good or is that how it's supposed to be? Also how do I reattach a betta hammock? The suction cup no longer sticks so it keeps falling off the side. Let me know anything else I need to about fish-in cycling.
Did you follow the fishless cycling sticky here?: https://www.fishforums.net/threads/cycle-your-tank-a-complete-guide-for-beginners.475055/

If so, you shouldn't have been adding an ammonia source daily if you followed the instructions....and a "daily" dose of ammonia won't "stay at" 0 PPM

Prime is a water conditioner for use during weekly water changes. It detoxifies ammonia, nitrItes, and nitrAtes for a given amount of time, until established biological filtration does the job. Prime is not a "daily" conditioner or ammonia remover, no water conditioner is made for that purpose.

What kind of test kit did you use, to test the water parameters daily during the fishless cycle?

Did you keep a record of your daily tests in one of the other many threads you have here?

Additionally, we need to know if you have live plants. This could explain the "cycle" issue, and nothing to worry about, depending upon plants [I'm thinking you have plants, but which ones if this is correct?]
My new tank doesn't have any plants, just the essentials.

Did you follow the fishless cycling sticky here? https://www.fishforums.net/threads/cycle-your-tank-a-complete-guide-for-beginners.475055/

If so, you shouldn't have been adding an ammonia source daily if you followed the instructions....and a "daily" dose of ammonia won't "stay at" 0 PPM

Prime is a water conditioner for use during weekly water changes. It detoxifies ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates for a given amount of time, until established biological filtration does the job. Prime is not a "daily" conditioner or ammonia remover, no water conditioner is made for that purpose.

What kind of test kit did you use, to test the water parameters daily during the fishless cycle?

Did you keep a record of your daily tests in one of the other many threads you have here?
I know, it detoxifies it which gives the tank time to cycle as the fish can stay safe. I can't really answer the other questions as I don't really remember.

What was your ammonia source? Are your test kits new or at least not very old? You should have ammonia generated within a couple days. Pure ammonia is also an option If you can get it.

Prime has a bit of a strange smell but shouldn’t smell rotten. It’s been a while since I used it so I can’t recall exactly what it smelled like, but I remember it does smell funny.

‘What is the pH of your water? The reason I ask is that a higher ph will make the ammonia/nitrites more toxic to fish. If it’s a lower ph. it will be easier with a fish in cycle. The best thing is to start with very, very low stocking levels.
I did have ammonia at first for a couple days, then it went away and never converted to nitrite or came back. The Prime smells like strong algae seawater. This tank is only for one fish. I don't remember my water chemistry; I'd have to test again. I'm not waiting any longer as at this point it seems I'd have to wait again for the whole duration.

Well, the simple solution is to toss in some growing floating plants, and they will take up any and all ammonia and that's the end of "cycling" I've never cycled a tank in my 30 years, and my fish go in on day 1.

Prime stinks, if you have a good nose.

If your fish is a Betta splendens - it's an air breather and frankly, ammonia is never good but is less of an issue with Bettas than with most fish. Clean water, and one more essential essential. Plants.

Well, the simple solution is to toss in some growing floating plants, and they will take up any and all ammonia and that's the end of "cycling" I've never cycled a tank in my 30 years, and my fish go in on day 1.
I can't believe you said that... I've never bothered with a fishless cycle either, but I have danced around on a lot of threads, thinking that stating that would be like heresy in the black and white world of beginner fishkeeping.

I can't believe you said that... I've never bothered with a fishless cycle either, but I have danced around on a lot of threads, thinking that stating that would be like heresy in the black and white world of beginner fishkeeping.

There are actually a few of us here that maintain this is the only way to start a new tank. :fish:

There are advantages to fishless cycling, including doing so with plants.

When I set up a new tank*, I want all of my new fish to be introduced at the same time.

I tended to overstock a wee bit, and plants would not keep up with the new bioload they are exposed to.

*which I haven't done in several years, but the principle is the same

Where has your betta been living for the past 2 months, and what filtration was with it? That'll probably already be cycled by now, so just use that filter or its media in the new tank.

Unfortunately cycling is science, so if you don't follow a solid plan, like the one shared to you, then you'll always set yourself up to fail with it and waste time & money.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Back