Fact Or Fiction

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

B0000CCY1P.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

:D :lol:

fact or fiction - a marine tank runs better with Live Rock than without it.
All depends on many, many other factors, such as style of tank (reef or pred) other filtration present (wet dry, algae scrubber) and the maintenance regime.

I will say fiction as with a well set up Algae Turf Scrubber you can have a heavy biioload, overfeed and still see no nitrates and not need to do wwater changes for well over a year.

Thats not true, in a way.

Many fish will breed in less then adequate conditions, and many brackish/marine fish migrate to freshwater to spawn.
That doesn't mean they live or are "happy" in freshwater.

Maximus

=================================

I disagree, they do travel, but thats because they've adpated to it. They actually do like water like that because it gives their fry the best chance to survive. Just because a Mono Sebae travels from the fresh water streams to the ocean to spawn, and leave their fry in the ocean, doesn't mean that they are accidently wandering into the ocean and spawning in less than adequate conditions. It's because thats what their fry need to survive.

And yes mollies are fine in fresh water, it doesn't cause them to suffer. They can live and breed in fresh, brackish, and salt water. It's not their fault that they are versatile. They are evolutionarily adaptative and just because they originated in brackish water doesn't mean thats they aren't happy in freshwater or saltwater for that matter

Saying anything to the contrary is slighting their evolutionary adaptations and versatility.

correct, note my use of the word marine as opposed to reef tank in the question. although the answer would technically be the same, that other factors are involved, the general consensus would be for a full reef tank LR is the best method of filtration.

correct, note my use of the word marine as opposed to reef tank in the question. although the answer would technically be the same, that other factors are involved, the general consensus would be for a full reef tank LR is the best method of filtration.
General consensus does not a fact make.

The general consensus used to be that the Earth went around the Sun...

;)

Edit

Hmm, can't help but feel I should have put that ^^ the other way round...

A "bacterial build up"? Which bacteria? It wouldn't, per chance, be a similar type of bacteria which we cultivate in our filter to deal with nitrogenous waste, would it? Obviously we can't comment because you haven't included (or your source didn't state) exaclt ywhich bacteria it is that are coming into the tank. But hey, don't let a lack of evidence and information stop you from stating things as fact now
Fact or fiction...
All bacterial build up in our aquarium deals with nitrogenous waste?

Not mine. Mine is big slimy and talks to me. it says feed me and it isn't the good nitrogenous kind, it just cusses at me. not very helpful at all. :lol:

So fiction (also theres tons of bad bacterial buildups like columnaris etc.)

General consensus does not a fact make.

The general consensus used to be that the Earth went around the Sun...

;)

as i said, the answer would still technically be the same - fiction, however any discussions around it would probably come up with a different answer

Thats not true, in a way.

Many fish will breed in less then adequate conditions, and many brackish/marine fish migrate to freshwater to spawn.
That doesn't mean they live or are "happy" in freshwater.

Maximus

=================================

I disagree, they do travel, but thats because they've adpated to it. They actually do like water like that because it gives their fry the best chance to survive. Just because a Mono Sebae travels from the fresh water streams to the ocean to spawn, and leave their fry in the ocean, doesn't mean that they are accidently wandering into the ocean and spawning in less than adequate conditions. It's because thats what their fry need to survive.

I didn't say that haven't adapted to do it, just that when they migrate, they are in inadequate conditions.

You said that they are "happy" because they are spawning in the conditions they are being kept in.

I'm refering to the conditions they are kept in, not the conditions they are temporary in.

I'm sure if you put some Mono Sebae in a FW tank they might spawn to begin with, but where to go then?

They need the SW in order to survive, and therfor be "happy".

Either way, this is getting a bit off topic :)

Maximus

Fact or Fiction?
goldfish only grow to fit the tank they are kept in.
I'd say..........fact?
lol if you mean the Goldfish, its Fiction.

If you want to play the game properly, then *technically* it's true. You haven't got a hope in hell of getting a goldfish to grow to 8" in, say, a 1/2g tank.
humm really? keep an eye on this thread, my mother in law has a goldie in a 1 gallon tank, and it is over 7 inches now! if you filter the water or do daily full water changes, they will grow till they suffer physical damage! goldfish like any other creature will grow till they reach their maximum. water conditions and food availability are the things that cause growth retardation.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back