Extreme Makeover –

Ludwig Venter

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Joined
Jun 7, 2008
Messages
8,209
Reaction score
5
Points
38
Location
South Africa
I think my compact gravel (like swimming pool filter sand) is the main reason why my plants are not growing like they should be. It is thus my intention to change the gravel with larger grain (and the total décor) without removing the fish.

If I remove all the ornaments, rocks and plants, and then remove the gravel (slowly) cup by cup, (with the filter running all the time), would that be a problem?

And then, (when all is removed), I’ll put the new (washed) gravel into the tank (cup by cup) before putting back all the décor, plants & rocks.

I’ve never done it this way (and would obviously not want to loose any fish)…. So would it be more stressing for them if I removed all fish and then do the changes or will this method work?
 
Having done both (once gravel to sand and once taking out substrate that had gone manky), it's much easier if you can remove the fish, even if you only have a small tank - it's only going to be temporary and you'll be much quicker if the fish are out of the way.
 
and i think being moved would be less stressful than having your hand in and out constantly.

my fish dont mind my hand in there, until i start moving stuff, they only like me when i hold still.

also, if you move the substrate, you could release all the poisonous gasses
 
I lifted my gravel at the weekend and the water was filthy. I'd take the fish out.
 
I just removed sand from one of my tanks this past weekend, I drained out half the water, removed the wood etc and used a large net to scoop out the sand, then a syphon to get the small bits that the net couldnt get, all with the fish still in the tank, they didnt seem particularly bothered, stayed down whichever end of the tank I wasnt in, then re-filled with water and added gravel back in jug by jug, again the fish moved out the way. Put everything back in and hey presto, fish didnt seem at all stressed or bothered and were happily swimming around as soon as Id finished.

Personally I think, netting them, putting them in a bucket (or bags, whatever you wanna use) then re-netting (if they are in a bucket) is far more stressful than staying in their own tank, but then my fish are so used to my hands/syphon etc in the tank and Im constantly re-arranging decor that I dont think they take any notice of me anymore :rolleyes:
 
If you remove them then you're less likely to have any casualties...squashed by syphon, hands, decor, gravel etc

I'm paranoid about fish escaping aswell (had a kuhli escape once), so having the lid open whilst I'm not neccesarily paying 100% attention worries me a bit.

Plus if you remove them into a bucket/tub and put them somewhere dark and you're relatively good at netting then I think stresswise it's about even either way round (leaving in or removing).

Simply on the 'avoiding casualties and escapees' theory I'd remove them.
 
When I changed my substrate I took all the fish out put them in a empty 46 Gal with a few decorations No heat no filter ( It was summer time). I switched the tank around as quick as I could . Yes they hated being moved around But it was less stressful on me and the fish. once they were moved they would chill out. I did not have to worry about squishing a plecos or hurting any fish.

I would turn the filter off when you are dealing with the sand. You might stir up a lot of sand and thats not too good for the filter.

You could always try and do it with the fish in and tank half full. Then if you think it is working well keep doing it. But if you don't like it take the fish out.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top