External Filters

Richy

Reaction score
I am currently running 2 Juwel tanks - Rekord 96 & Rio 180, both on their own internal filters, They are both very lightly stocked, but I would like to add to them in time, Although the water is fairly clear there seems to be a lot of particles floating about, they have both been cycled & get at least a 20% water change every couple of weeks.
My question, quite simply - I have been thinking of adding a couple of external filters, probably Ehiem 2231/33, what do you think?? any advice gratefully accepted - Many thanks in advance.
:)

To be honest I don't know that much about the Juwel aquariums. But I would recomend Eheim's as there great filters, 100 x's better that the fluval externals. I run a 2215 in my main tank.
If you want better clarity, and want an external filter then yes go with ecco's. The 31 for the 96 and the 2233 for the 180.

If the filter fully removed I would suggest this to stop over filtering :D

My main tank is a Juwel RIO 180 and also suffers from excessive particles floating about - is this likely to be caused by the internal filter being inefficient....I also have a Juwel Rekord 60, but that seems fine.....I have live plants in both, but far more in the 180...

I'll retype the last bit me post as it sound :what:

If you can removethe internal filter completely, I would advise this. But I'm not sure about it all cos o the heater n stuff. But theres not point running both as it'll not help. If you want good circulation in the tank, remove the media in the internal, and just use 15mm ball bearings. Thiswill not hamper the flow and not do much filtering, but will stop any large debris reaching the impeller :grin:

I'm with davy on the knowledge about Juwel systems (sod all in fact) I do know that there popular in the States so I'll ask a few people and see what they come up with. As for the particles and such, Can you clean the filter in anyway? if it doesn't improve after doing this then it could be a mechanical problem. What exactly are the particles (very small things  :p ), plant debris, gravel dust, etc? I put to much water conditioner in a sump tank once( for water changes it was easier than using buckets) and got a lot of stuff floating in the water after a day or so.

Hi adeyc, The best way I can describe the particles, is they look like dust in the air, if you know what I mean - the pre-filter, is changed weekly, the carbon pad every six weeks or so, I think it may just be the juwel system on it's own just lacks a little bit, or maybe I'm just expecting to much! :grin:
However I think I'm going to treat the "Lickle Fishies" (as my daughter calls them) to some nice new Ehiem external filters & "just go for it" :laugh:, let you know how it goes.......

Here Richy, be careful with your external, I was cleaning mine the other day and took the proplelor out to check it, there is a bush at the top of the shaft, it want ping and I totall lost it, :eek: I looked for ages then had to find something to replace it. Plus it now makes a noise. Plus it'll cos my £5 just to get a new bit :=)
Tottally pissed :laugh:

Sorry to hear about your misfortune with your external Eheim, I had heard some horror stories about the propellars assembly, but I'm still delighted that I got the Eheims, instead of the fluval, they really are a superb filter :D :D .
I'm going to let mine run for a while before I worry to much about cleaning propellars, & I think I might just play it safe & get a spare prop before I start!!!!

It wiz all my fault :blush: Should have been more careful.

So which ones did you go for? are you still running the internal ones? and have things got better :)

hi Richy sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. If the particles are constant, in that there always there the chances are your system is getting a bit past it's best. If not and they usualy appear after a water change then dissapear after a few hours (sometimes a day) then it's nothing to worry about.
Glad to hear the "Lickle Fishies" are getting a new external, should cut down on a few problems but don't loose any bit's when cleaning ;)

Hi Guys,
Yes things have improved greatly, I've put the 2231 in the 96 litre, & the 2233 in the 180 litre as you suggested, I've left the internals with their media as it was, thought this might be advisable just to let the externals mature, I've just removed the carbon pads,
I must admit I changed the media in the new ones for some ehfimech (pasta) & some ehfisubstrat (sintered glass), not cheap by any means - but it is reusable so i guess it will work out cheaper in the long run, besides the fish brings so much pleasure, I feel I should make a bit of an effort to make their world as comfortable as possible. ;) :D :look:

Sound good :)
I should get some rock 'stuff' for my filter I'm just running the sponge 'stuff' just now ;)

You should throw us some pictures of yuor tanks and I'll put them on the website for all the world :0 to see 8)
Have a look Here at what is already up :thumbs:

Most reactions

trending

Back