External Filter Tests

as are Hydor filters SBS, as i found out doing mine. Twotank, this isn't a scientific experiment, it's just a general guide for people which is quite an interesting thing to do IMO. There isn't anything on the net which provided this info. We know there are many variables to the challenge, this is why it's important for other members to do tests on the same filters. :good:

right, i have done mine and it's quite surprising.

Filter
Hydor Prime 30 (a relative unknown and unused filter IME)

Maximum Pump Output
900LPH

Age at testing
6 Weeks

Media, from the bottom up as that's the direction of water flow
This filter doesn't have trays, its a canister
It has from bottom to top, Sponge, JBL floss, Purigen, Ceramic media, Carbon, Bioballs, JBL floss.

Test Results: Real Life Output

2.4 litres in 10 seconds (averaged over 10 fills) = 14.4 ltr a min = 864 LPH.

Not a bad result IMO. I was told that Hydor measured the outflow with media and pipes, i now believe them. Why more people aren't using this filter is beyond me. For a £60, you really cannot go wrong.

Excellent Ian, thats great news. I may well try one of these filters. Is this running your 190?

I used one of the above and it leaked ( admittedly second hand ) but it always put me off but may have to give them a go again at one point

Excellent Ian, thats great news. I may well try one of these filters. Is this running your 190?

Yes it is, i do run a Koralia along side it, but as i say, it's a very impressive filter IMO. Bae, all externals have the potential to leak, though, it's a shame that one did.

That's the problem with buying second hand, you don't know if the previous owners greased any seals to prevent them from hardening.

Bump!

This is only going to work if lots of people are willing to test and put their results up! C'mon people, get testing! :good:

it'd be good to get an FX5 real flow value...Mattlee! :lol:

What a '@#%£$&* palava that was; I'm blimming soaked now :shout: Ok, here's the results (and I am NOT doing them again, ever!)

Filter 1 APS 1400lph approx 18 months old

Media (from bottom tray to top);
floss and plastic (large wheels) pond media
same
floss, ceramic rings, spare sponges

11l in 1m = 660lph

Filter 2 Old APS 2000lph 1 year old

media
floss, pond media
floss, bioballs
floss, ceramic rings

21l in 1m = 1260lph

Filter 3 New APS 2000lph 2 months old

Media
floos, pond media
floss, bioballs
floss, ceramic rings

22l in 1m = 1320lph (might actually be slightly better, as I've just noticed there's still a few air bubbles coming out :grr: )

A significant drop from the quoted, but as I'm more concerned with volume of media than turnover, I'm still happy.

Edit; forgot to say; they're all pumping to about 3 3/5 ft/1m ; filters are on the floor.

No worries; it was interesting (if messy!) to do :)

Ok It is an internal but i did it anyway.

Interpet PF1

Age At testing - 5/6 Months

Manufacturers flow rate - Approx 380 L/H

Media - 2x 1/2 a sponge on one side and 1x sponge on the other

1x sliver of foam atop the main foam holder.

Actual Flow rate - 390L/H]

Explaination...

Some of the water actually bypasses the filter as part of the design so the motor will stay cool even when the filters are blocked. This means it always draws through the maximum flow through the pump unit and fools you into thinking it is working when it could well be blocked.

I may do my other internal as that doesnt have a bypass opening

Think a will do my ex1200 sometime this week. Do i have to do it for a minute though as i don't think i have a bucket big enough? :unsure:

Think a will do my ex1200 sometime this week. Do i have to do it for a minute though as i don't think i have a bucket big enough? :unsure:

do it for 30 seconds or just buy a big bucket.

Most reactions

Back