External Filter Tests

coldcazzie

Ice Queen
Reaction score
Ok, I thought it would be sensible to have real life tests of the external filters we all use, and to have them all posted in one thread so it's easy for people (both members and guests) to find if they are wondering what the filters will be like for them. This started as being just All Pond Solutions filters, as some people have really positive reviews of them and some people have really negative ones. However, it's now being opened up to any brand of filter as the usefulness is not limited to the APS range.

The main reason for these tests is that most manufacturers put the maximum output of the pump without media in, but fail to put the actual output once filled and connected to a tank. The real output will always be slower than the max because of the resistance provided by the media, frequency of cleaning, pipe width and head height. There are a couple who do give the filled output, I think Eheim, can't remember who else. As a rough guideline, you should half the output claimed, unless they give the filled output...herein lies the point of the thread: to find out what users real life experiences are of each filter's output, so anybody considering a new filter can see what they're like in the field.

If we all follow the same layout it'll be fairly easy to see what everyone's results are. Hopefully it'll yeild some helpful findings :)

The method I used was to measure the amount of water pumped out in 10 seconds, then x6 to get output per minute, then x60 to get output per hour. However, you can also time the amount of time it takes to pump a known volume of water, such as a 2L pop bottle, or an 8L bucket. The choice is yours.

Here's mine:

Filter
APS EF2000+

Maximum Pump Output
2000L per hour

Age at testing
less than 1 year

Media, from the bottom up as that's the direction of water flow
Tray 1: 2 filter foams and ceramic rings
Tray 2: ceramic rings and a few bioballs
Tray 3: bioballs
Tray 4: 4 filter foams

Test Results: Real Life Output (will edit with 2 more at a later time when I'm not swarmed by children!)
Test 1: 2.5 litres in 10 seconds = 15L per minute = 900L per hour

Blimey, that >50% drop off would certainly explain the lack of current coming off the single piece spraybar of my 2000EF, running alongside a Fluval FX5 in the garage 5-footer!

That is a really poor result, and what I expected TBH. As i said when my APS 1000 was alive, after about 3 weeks of running it was probably turning over about 300lph. This was done on observation only.

It would be interesting to see what the other members APS filters did.

Do you still have yours to test Ian? I realise it'd be a phaff to change the media over to test it but it's only by lots of members posting their results that a thread like this will actually be useful. If it's just me then it's of no use to anyone except me really! :lol:

Goat, would you test yours as well?

Edit: in fact, it would be helpful to have any filter's real life output... maybe this shouldn't be limited to the APS filters...?

it'd be good to open it to all filters actually. A really good idea!

If you add the equation to work out how to measure the output in your first post, then others might take part.

I'll time how long it takes to fill my 3 gallon bucket tomorrow, when doing their water change.:)

it'd be good to open it to all filters actually. A really good idea!

If you add the equation to work out how to measure the output in your first post, then others might take part.
Have edited first post accordingly :)

I'll time how long it takes to fill my 3 gallon bucket tomorrow, when doing their water change.:)
Cool, thanks! :good:

This is a great idea for a thread Coldcazzie and will be very useful for people looking into a new filter.

Sticky ?

LP

I have the APS 1400 so will test it out later when the squealers are in bed. If it doesn't do what it says I'm going to hoof it back at them as its only a few months old.
Never even thought about this.

Good idea cazzie :good:

I have the APS 1400 so will test it out later when the squealers are in bed. If it doesn't do what it says I'm going to hoof it back at them as its only a few months old.
Never even thought about this.

Good idea cazzie :good:
Well most manufacturers put the maximum output of the pump without media in, but fail to put the actual output once filled, which will always be slower than the max because of the resistance provided by the media. There are a couple who do give the filled output, I think Eheim, can't remember who else. Generally it's a good idea to roughly half the output claimed, unless they give the filled output...but that's kinda the point :) to find out what they really are. :nod:

I suggest we keep this to just the filter test's? It's up to you Cazzie, then it'll be easier to find the appropriate filter, rather than wading through loads of posts. It's up to you. I will edit if thats OK with everyone?

Filter
Aqua one Aquis 750 series 2

Maximum Pump Output
max 650 L/hr

Quoted pump output
350 l/hr @120cm

Age at testing
1st time i used it

Media
1st tray(bottom)- Bio noodles-Blue sponge 15ppi
2nd tray- Ceramisub advance-blue sponge 15ppi
3rd tray-eheim substrat pro- Fine filter wool

Test Results:

320 litres and hour. Not far out after reading the book

The Head height will make a massive difference.
My tank is on a stand and the filter is on the floor.

Will test my new Eheim 3E 2078 and my 2026 when i can,will add to the list
Eheim quote the 2078 as 1850 lt/hr pump and at 1100 lt/hr with media

I have just ordered the APS EF2000+

Would be very good to see the results from other filters, I will test mine when I get it.

I wonder if it would be worth testing it without the media in to see if it achieves the stated flow?

Filter
Aqua one Aquis 750 series 2

Maximum Pump Output
max 650 L/hr

Age at testing
1st time i used it

Media
All media that was supplied,With the Carbon taken out and topped up with Eheim Substrat pro
Any chance you could edit and put exactly what media it is? Pretty please? :)

Test Results:

320 litres and hour. :crazy:
so that fits with the general "half the output that they state" advice... thanks! :good:

The Head height will make a massive difference.
My tank is on a stand and the filter is on the floor.
of course it will, I have edited the first post to include this as a factor, and to provide more general information.

Will test my new Eheim 3E 2078 and my 2026 when i can,will add to the list
Eheim quote the 2078 as 1850 lt/hr pump and at 1100 lt/hr with media
thank you! :)

Does anyone know off the top of their head which other brand(s) give filled outputs?

Also, do we think its worth putting the canister capacity up for each or not? It may make some difference in terms of how much media the pump has to pull the water through, but also in terms of bacterial colony size which is also important to filtration quality. I realise though it may not be directly related, so not sure... :unsure: what are other people's views on this?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back