External Filter Questions+ Advice Please.

Wigster

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So currently I'm using the Interpet's 'PF4' internal power filter.
Though lately i'm noticing it's becoming a little loud, I've tried giving it a really good clean, but still not as quiet as I'd like
So this leads me to thinking about buying an external cannister filter.. and some questions:
1) Are external cannister filters generally quiter than internal?
2) Are the ones with a built in UV light really worth considering my 160L tropical aquairum?
3) Would I just simply be able to take the filter media out of my internal and dump it in the extenral (Considering it wouldn't be an exact fit), or would it be best to have both running until the external is seeded?

And finally... Which external cannister is generally seen as the most popular currently, I'd be looking to spend under £100.

Thanks for any advice,
My tank/Thread can be found in my sig.

i would buy a jbl e900 brilliant filter but im sure the tetratec brigade will be along shortly to prove me wrong.. :D

i would buy a jbl e900 brilliant filter but im sure the tetratec brigade will be along shortly to prove me wrong.. :D

Ta-Daaa.... :D

No experience of the JBL's, but i have read few reviews from members who rate them highly.

TetraTEC for me... :D

Just to answer your questions a little...

1) Depends on makes, models and ages. I have had a very noisy Fluval U3 internal filter. I have also had a very noisy Fluval 205 and 305.

2) UV isn't necessary on home aquaria really. Good maintenance is the best option.

3) Yes.

I still have my 305 and it is a great filter... But they come light from the factory. The included media can be a little stingy. Whether or not the newer 06 models are any different i don't know. The flow is great, can't fault it one bit but it chatters alot. Something i have cured by wrapping a blanket and a towel around it, so no big deal really. I have also packed it solid with all different kinds of media, and the flow is still decent. But my favourites are TetraTEC filters without a doubt. The EX1200 in particular. :D (as everyone and their dog knows!)

Both the 305/6 or the TetraTEC ex1200 would be a better option for you to run an external on your tank. 160 litres is a decent size, so i wouldn't feel confident running a 205/6 on it alone. Over filtration and better flow will give you more room for manouvre on stock and maintenance etc. Beware that the TT is a fair bit bigger than the 305 though, so if cupboard space is an issue then make sure you measure up before you press the order button.

if you go for all pond solutions filter through the all pond solutions website . code JAN-12 will get you 15% off

I've got a Fluval 205 and it's virtually silent. Other people have said the Tetratec ones are quieter. I don't know how you get quieter than silent, but there you go :p

I've found my Fluval 205 to be ideal, I can't fault it. The Tetratec brigade will tell you that once you have a TT filter, you won't go back to another brand, but I would say the Fluval is a fine choice.

I'll have a look at these tetratec's in the morning then, definitely sounding positive.
Currently I'm thinking towards the All Pond Solutions though, due the great review it had in the latest PFK mag, and the 15% voucher code online.

I'll have a look at these tetratec's in the morning then, definitely sounding positive.
Currently I'm thinking towards the All Pond Solutions though, due the great review it had in the latest PFK mag, and the 15% voucher code online.

Yeah i saw that. Interesting. I have the 1000 model, it's a decent filter, just wish i had gone for the 1400. :( The only other thing i can say is that you get what you for... But with the 15% off it's a bargain! :D

I run the APS filters on all my larger tanks, and I'm very happy with them.

I run an APS2000EF on my 140l 48x12x15 and it is hardly what I would call a brisk current, I've yet to do a real world test on this one, but the other one supplementing my 540l 5x2x2 gives real world turnover of 1200lph when not using any of the spraybar modules (I think it was ColdCazzie who got ~900lph with spraybars attached).

With the 15% discount it is a front runner for a sub-200l tank, if you have fish that are not fond of current then decide how many of the three spraybar pieces you want to connect.:good:

Most reactions

Back