Exposed Monte Carlo roots

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

monkeymagic

Reaction score
Hi,

First of all, ignore the algae in the photo - this is a 6 week old tank and I'm getting to grips with it gradually!

The substrate was too high at the front of the tank, so today I decided to dig about 2cm along the edge of the tank. As expected I uprooted some of the Monte Carlo and exposed the roots of some others as per the photo. I replanted a few, and tried pushing the exposed roots down into the substrate but it was hard work and half the time caused the MC to pop out completely.

If I just leave these exposed like this, will the roots "pull down" the plant into the substrate? Or will the roots just stay exposed like this?

I can keep trying to push them down but it'll take ages and I'm just wondering what happens if I leave the plants to do their thing. Will persevere if it's worth it of course!

They're planted in a sand/gravel cap, with aqua soil below.

Monte Carlo roots.jpg

I’m not aware that the roots will ever pull down but just kind of stay like that, if anything growing and pushing them up more.

Thanks. I keep pushing the roots down...and the one next to it pops up....and repeat and repeat! I'll let nature take its course and see what happens.

You could make little hills around each to cover the roots and every now and then when you’re doing maintenance try to gently nudge them more flat. Over time they may be retrained and cooperate.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back