Euthanasia for shrimp

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Elephant nose 4

Fish Crazy
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
Hi, my vampire shrimp had a seriously bad molt and it left him with only one leg. Sadly he's not looking well today and looks like hes dying. I don't want him to suffer he deserves better than that. I'm devastated for the poor guy and really enjoy keeping them.
Can anyone help me on what is the most humane way to put him to sleep? I dont have clove oil on me but if I have to I'm sure I can get someone to go for me.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I was hoping he’d pull through. I use close oil but never tried it on a shrimp. Some say to place it in a small container of water in the refrigerator for an hour and then freeze overnight. Sure he can’t pull through?

This topic really bums me out. I can't have a dog or cat "put to sleep" because in my mind it's just murder plain and simple. A fish ? Same thing as far as I'm concerned except you usually have their tankmates hastening their demise. I isolate them and let them meet their fate naturally. Would you want to be euthanized ? Watch the movies Soylent Green and Logan's Run. The state decides who lives and dies and when. You are that politician when you kill animals. I gotta go lie down now.

No he looks terrible, he's not fed at all today. He's going pink and it looks like he's got internal bleeding. Its heartbreaking to watch. I'm wondering about putting him in freezing water? But I don't want to do anything that will cause more suffering.
Thank you

This topic really bums me out. I can't have a dog or cat "put to sleep" because in my mind it's just murder plain and simple. A fish ? Same thing as far as I'm concerned except you usually have their tankmates hastening their demise. I isolate them and let them meet their fate naturally. Would you want to be euthanized ? Watch the movies Soylent Green and Logan's Run. The state decides who lives and dies and when. You are that politician when you kill animals. I gotta go lie down now.
I understand you totally. I had thought of removing him , no one in the tank is bothering him but I don't want him left in there to die and maybe one of my snails eat him. I'm sorry if I've caused any upset I care very much for my pets.

Blunt force trauma is actually the most humane way, not always easy to do though.

In a different world, yes, if I was suffering a terminal and irreversible illness then I would choose euthanasia for myself at my request when I was ready. No one other than the patient should ever make that decision though. However, in the world in which we live, I can’t support euthanasia in people because God says, “Thy shalt not kill.” I have to trust God and believe His way is better. It is hard to watch though. As a nurse, I have had patients beg me to kill them to stop their suffering. I wish I could much of the time but must live by Gods commands. Fortunately, for humans, God has designed our bodies to shut down naturally. As our bodies prepare for death our natural endorphins kick in and cause a euphoric affect that helps dull pain. Sadly, animals don’t seem to have this natural sedation that God blesses us with.

Last edited:
Anybody that lets people or animals suffer is not nice. If you watch an 11 year old dying from breast cancer and a 15 yo dying from lung cancer and watch their skin turn grey, and they try to sit up just to breath, you would encourage euthanasia.

Anybody that lets people or animals suffer is not nice. If you watch an 11 year old dying from breast cancer and a 15 yo dying from lung cancer and watch their skin turn grey, and they try to sit up just to breath, you would encourage euthanasia.
Again, I wish I could but God says “Thou Shalt Not Kill”. I have to trust in Him. He created each one of us and loves us more than we can conceive. We have to put our trust in Him. I also am aware of what some have been proposing, specifically health insurances. They want to have the capability of making the decision of when to euthanize. They would have specific guidelines in when to do it. For instance, if you’re over 80 years old, you will be euthanized if hospitalized for shortness of breath. Even if you’re still a healthy, contributing human being with interests and hobbies. They have a lot of that power now by declaring further care “futile” and cutting off funds. The physicians agree to declare care futile because they will no longer get paid and the hospital administration puts pressure on them because the hospital will not get paid. This leaves families scrambling to find other facilities which is almost impossible to do. In the end, the patient ends up on hospice until death. Most of you have no idea of where healthcare is going. I’m glad I worked in it when we saved lives and not money. Jumping off my soap box.

Wow, talk about opening up a can of worms. Yes, Yahweh says we shall do no murder and Yahweh's commandments are eternally binding. Ecclesiastes 12:13. I can't condone euthanasia in humans or animals. What Colin is talking about is tough. Yeah, that stuff is hard to see. There's no easy answers. I used to have a Siamese cat that I absolutely loved dearly. He was dying and maybe in pain. I don't know. I held him and petted him and talked to him until he died. I wouldn't do it any different today. But to take him to a stranger to poison him ? No way. Dr. Kevorkian had all these same debates.

I agree that in certain circumstances we should be able to euthanize, I think that we should also have the right if we're suffering ourselves to have that choice.
Anyway I always promised all my pets that I wouldn't ever let them suffer no matter how difficult and painful it was for me and I've always kept my word.
My shrimp died today poor guy RIP

Sorry to hear he didn't pull through. RIP li'l guy.

Wow, talk about opening up a can of worms. Yes, Yahweh says we shall do no murder and Yahweh's commandments are eternally binding. Ecclesiastes 12:13. I can't condone euthanasia in humans or animals. What Colin is talking about is tough. Yeah, that stuff is hard to see. There's no easy answers. I used to have a Siamese cat that I absolutely loved dearly. He was dying and maybe in pain. I don't know. I held him and petted him and talked to him until he died. I wouldn't do it any different today. But to take him to a stranger to poison him ? No way. Dr. Kevorkian had all these same debates.
I’m confused. Same debates as what?

You don't remember the whole Dr. Kevorkian debacle? He was euthanizing people in what he called assisted suicide until the courts stepped in. He's dead now but the debate rages on. Adolf Hitler was euthanizing people too. If you let men have that power they will make the list of reasons longer every day. Eventually they will get to you. Money will enter into it and those of us without money or are otherwise not economically viable will get it first. Politicians love money. The politicians are all businessmen. That's the first thing you hear out of their lying mouths. Vote for me I'm a businessman. Okay. Settle down. I'm ranting. Take a deep breath. Alright, I'm OK now. Let's get back to fish. You ever think about having a big tank with a big fish in it that could eat culls and cripples?

Again, I wish I could but God says “Thou Shalt Not Kill”.
I'm pretty sure that is meant to be in relation to killing your neighbours because they are different or have something you want. And by neighbours, I don't just mean the people living next door, but people living in other states and countries. I highly doubt any God would want to see things suffering and would allow euthanasia of someone or something that was terminally ill and dying.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back