Erratic Behaviour.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

dougie

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi All,
One of my Keyhole Cichlids has been randomly thrashing about just after eating, scraping itself off the odd rock or the substrate.
It's been going on for about 9 days to 2 weeks. He doesn't do it every day, probably every 3rd if I had to guess. If I thought perhaps ich was going to erupt, but there's not a single spot or mark on the fish. I have the medication on standby, but Want to get things right.
My weekly water changes, routines, peramiters etc have not changed.
All the other fish appear to be in tip-top condition & the Keyhole itself looks immaculate.
I have have only seen him do his mental dance once at any other time rather than just after eating.
Any thoughts or advice greatly appreciated!
Cheers.
All my other fish appear t

Ignore last half a sentence. Doing this on my phone!!!
Cheers in advance.

Hi again,
This morning I noticed two tiny (1 - 2 mm long, less than half a mm thick) white 'threads' if you can call it that, on the Keyhole's side. One just behind the head & the other 2/3 of the way down it's flank. They look like they would come off if you touched them, like bits of debris or something. They are not a uniform thickness, do not look like a worm or anything (although I'm not ruling that out). Thought I'd mention it as its something I've not noticed before.
I have another fish who seems disinterested in eating unless fed frozen bloodworm or live food. I only feed bloodworm or live daphnia once a week as as a treat (this fish has been uninterested in any other food & I've tried several different kinds, since I got him 6 or 7 weeks ago). Thought I'd mention it in case it helps, cheers!

Wondered why I'd had no reply- then I read the post about all the info I should have added!
Parameters:
Ammonia = 0.0
Nitrite = 0.0
Nitrate = 40
Temp = 25 deg C
Water changes = 20% every Saturday.
Chemicals = Nutrafin Aqua Plus
Tanks size = 180l (40g approx)
Fish = 2 x Keyholes, 2 x A. Metae (about 6 weeks ago 2 & 3 inch fish), 1 A.B.N and a few cherry barbs. Oh and 6 inherited Amano Shrimp.
Well planted, very fine gravel substrate.
That's all ive got.
Cheers.

Sometimes there just isn't anything anyone can suggest. Fish disease/parasites, especially in home aquaria rather than commercial applications, is relatively poorly researched.

i, for one, have never some across anything that sounds even remotely similar.

Hi Fluttermouth.
It's really odd, the fish hadnt done it for 4 days, then was at it again this morning. Only for about 20 seconds. It really reminds me of when my dog throws himself around the garden for a bonkers 30 seconds for no apparent reason. Oh and those white things I noticed on its side we're gone the same day. Weird. None of the other fish seem in any way affected. Other than the fits the fish has it appears it great condition.
I asked a more experienced guy than myself yesterday & he was baffled too. He did mention ich & perhaps gill flukes, but said by now things would be obvious & other fish would be showing similar symptoms.
Maybe it just enjoys it...

Hi Fluttermouth.
It's really odd, the fish hadnt done it for 4 days, then was at it again this morning. Only for about 20 seconds. It really reminds me of when my dog throws himself around the garden for a bonkers 30 seconds for no apparent reason. Oh and those white things I noticed on its side we're gone the same day. Weird. None of the other fish seem in any way affected. Other than the fits the fish has it appears it great condition.
I asked a more experienced guy than myself yesterday & he was baffled too. He did mention ich & perhaps gill flukes, but said by now things would be obvious & other fish would be showing similar symptoms.
I guess I'll just have to hope I've just got a mental fish..

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back